Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Wickerman MixN
(25-04-2021, 07:45 PM)crownoise Wrote:
(25-04-2021, 10:17 AM)Philip Wrote:
(24-04-2021, 11:25 PM)crownoise Wrote: Are you mixing on high volume? This sometimes makes it hard to keep tone intact because you sort of are fighting the volume mixing instead of the tone of the mix. Funny thing also, i can swear you have very similiardelaytimes on your guitars as i had.
NOPEi mix on very low volume thou.....at max 65db-70db sometime less than 60db  just used to mix in low volume , honestly i got pair of Kali audio monitors (like it) so im mixing on a new pair ,,,,( im used to my Adam monitors) 

again on mixing im trying like(always) to make things sound 3D shape if u want, guitars and drums i use 3 delays going to 3 reverbs
i need more time to get to know these monitors in my room,  like that bass they interduce even without a subwoofer....and finally there is no automation at all , u guys might ask why is that?  my answer is that i believe if u controlling your dynamics and effects very well u dont need that much of automation on ....for me automation is on the Vox and othere things go Mute or unMute.....to prove it for u guys start playing with your drums dynamics with the rest of the song lets say GTRs in some point u will get that breathy snare (sound like some reversed reverb on it)  and again to get that  NEVER effect your direct mics .
Okay i see, that seems as a reasonable volume. I never automate anything either because of the same reasons, but i am planning to start doing so because i believe it to be a very powerful "tool". I am mixing in reaper so i think it can become a big hustle to learn automating in that DAW. Yes aiming for a 3d shape is cool, i think 3d-shaping is something that doesn't need to involve reverb and delays, it can be an eq thing or saturation/distortion thing to, whatever makes it feel the way you want it to. By the way, i like the second mix you made here, well done Smile.

Thank you crownoise
Well..... I like reaper too but used for protocols Smile , in this case I didn’t use any automation just for practicing things out Automation is really a wonderful and lovely tool for my opinion,  anyway I don’t think that u can get 3D image without delays and reverbs ,the reason is with those effects u can build the width and the depth you want to , and it makes it more like easier to glue it all together . With eq only u can’t build a 3D shape exactly because eq will give you the right frequencies river and distortion and saturation is all about coloration,the plate and the room and the slaps and ...is missing ( for example how many times you meet guys getting a good punchy Drums and they couldn’t fit it in the mix well ? They loosing it in the overall mix)   The reason is when it comes to mastering all will go at the same max 0db and then a Masking issue will appear of many reasons. on the other hand it’s your taste mate so there is no rules really . But it would be great if you give it a try I am sure it will like it .....when mixing ,its all about illusion ...
Cheeers
But there is always roomtones in all recordings Wink Wink? Even DI's have it.