Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Wickerman MixN
hey Everyone... what do you think about the second mix ( mixN F_5 ) is there too much Bass on ? thanks for your feedback

Okaaay after 2 days I think to add more high mid a bit on the GTRS , and push back the drums a little bit maybe 2-3 db and more room for the BV

.mp3    wickerman song mixN.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

.mp3    wickerman song mixN F_5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

MUCH BETTER!!! There are some delay and verb on the main guitars that personally I don't like but that's just a personal thing.
The guitars sound a little thin, this could be just an eq thing as well. Lower some of the highs on guitars and open up the low end a little like HPF up to around maybe 140hz.
Vox are a little low over all and the bass guitar could be brought up a touch.
Snare could use some verb with it to make it more roomy and wide but that's a personal thing as well.
There are some eq issues still within the mix but it is def a solid start!
Keep mixing and you will nail it!
Nice attempt Philip. As JEMixer said, just a bit polish to get there. For me the transients in the drums could get timy limited or more like clipped via the masterbuss to bring up some overall volume, after that try as mentioned before to gain some lower mids or bass to the guitars, they seem perfectly balanced with the rest of the mix eq-wise but the tone is weak from them. Bass guitar could also get a bass-boost and then some tiny limiting or just a normal gain boost.
(21-04-2021, 02:18 AM)JEMixer Wrote: MUCH BETTER!!! There are some delay and verb on the main guitars that personally I don't like but that's just a personal thing.
The guitars sound a little thin, this could be just an eq thing as well. Lower some of the highs on guitars and open up the low end a little like HPF up to around maybe 140hz.
Vox are a little low over all and the bass guitar could be brought up a touch.
Snare could use some verb with it to make it more roomy and wide but that's a personal thing as well.
There are some eq issues still within the mix but it is def a solid start!
Keep mixing and you will nail it!
Hey JEMixer thank you very much for this feedback .... I’ll work on those notices . I liked your mix it is inspiring me specially with the guitars and the bass ...... drums are awesome .
I’ll mix it better next time for sure 

thank you For the time you spend to support me and others to have a new ideas and to improve our mixes
(21-04-2021, 12:55 PM)crownoise Wrote: Nice attempt Philip. As JEMixer said, just a bit polish to get there. For me the transients in the drums could get timy limited or more like clipped via the masterbuss to bring up some overall volume, after that try as mentioned before to gain some lower mids or bass to the guitars, they seem perfectly balanced with the rest of the mix eq-wise but the tone is weak from them. Bass guitar could also get a bass-boost and then some tiny limiting or just a normal gain boost.
Hey crownoise thank you for the support..... I appreciate it
i liked your mix and the idea behind building your mix up till the end , it is an awesome idea , I’ve learned something new with planning and building automation to make a mix sound better and nicer

for a new guy like me who trying to mix metal I need more time to understand the balance between the tracks or ( instruments)
ill work on this mix more and more just because I don’t know how to give up.

thanks again Crownoise
Some good points above, i do like the balance you have obtained. There is a few aesthetic choices that I wouldn't have gone for personally but I think they contribute to making your rendition what it is. Nice work, looking forward to hearing more in the future and thanks for sharing!
(22-04-2021, 02:49 PM)trading_pieces Wrote: Some good points above, i do like the balance you have obtained. There is a few aesthetic choices that I wouldn't have gone for personally but I think they contribute to making your rendition what it is. Nice work, looking forward to hearing more in the future and thanks for sharing
Thank you Trading pieces for the feedback
i agree that i need to learn more about too many points to make it works better for sure .
Are you mixing on high volume? This sometimes makes it hard to keep tone intact because you sort of are fighting the volume mixing instead of the tone of the mix. Funny thing also, i can swear you have very similiardelaytimes on your guitars as i had.
(24-04-2021, 11:25 PM)crownoise Wrote: Are you mixing on high volume? This sometimes makes it hard to keep tone intact because you sort of are fighting the volume mixing instead of the tone of the mix. Funny thing also, i can swear you have very similiardelaytimes on your guitars as i had.
NOPEi mix on very low volume thou.....at max 65db-70db sometime less than 60db  just used to mix in low volume , honestly i got pair of Kali audio monitors (like it) so im mixing on a new pair ,,,,( im used to my Adam monitors) 

again on mixing im trying like(always) to make things sound 3D shape if u want, guitars and drums i use 3 delays going to 3 reverbs
i need more time to get to know these monitors in my room,  like that bass they interduce even without a subwoofer....and finally there is no automation at all , u guys might ask why is that?  my answer is that i believe if u controlling your dynamics and effects very well u dont need that much of automation on ....for me automation is on the Vox and othere things go Mute or unMute.....to prove it for u guys start playing with your drums dynamics with the rest of the song lets say GTRs in some point u will get that breathy snare (sound like some reversed reverb on it)  and again to get that  NEVER effect your direct mics .
(25-04-2021, 10:17 AM)Philip Wrote:
(24-04-2021, 11:25 PM)crownoise Wrote: Are you mixing on high volume? This sometimes makes it hard to keep tone intact because you sort of are fighting the volume mixing instead of the tone of the mix. Funny thing also, i can swear you have very similiardelaytimes on your guitars as i had.
NOPEi mix on very low volume thou.....at max 65db-70db sometime less than 60db  just used to mix in low volume , honestly i got pair of Kali audio monitors (like it) so im mixing on a new pair ,,,,( im used to my Adam monitors) 

again on mixing im trying like(always) to make things sound 3D shape if u want, guitars and drums i use 3 delays going to 3 reverbs
i need more time to get to know these monitors in my room,  like that bass they interduce even without a subwoofer....and finally there is no automation at all , u guys might ask why is that?  my answer is that i believe if u controlling your dynamics and effects very well u dont need that much of automation on ....for me automation is on the Vox and othere things go Mute or unMute.....to prove it for u guys start playing with your drums dynamics with the rest of the song lets say GTRs in some point u will get that breathy snare (sound like some reversed reverb on it)  and again to get that  NEVER effect your direct mics .
Okay i see, that seems as a reasonable volume. I never automate anything either because of the same reasons, but i am planning to start doing so because i believe it to be a very powerful "tool". I am mixing in reaper so i think it can become a big hustle to learn automating in that DAW. Yes aiming for a 3d shape is cool, i think 3d-shaping is something that doesn't need to involve reverb and delays, it can be an eq thing or saturation/distortion thing to, whatever makes it feel the way you want it to. By the way, i like the second mix you made here, well done Smile.