Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requesting feedback - my mix of "Daisy Daisy"
Hello all. I am new to mixing, having only really been at it in earnest for a week or so now, and am really enjoying learning about it. I've attached my mix of John McKay's "Daisy Daisy" to this post and would very very much appreciate any feedback members of this forum would be willing to provide me on my attempt. Thanks all in advance.

.mp3    daisydaisymix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)

It feels ok. The balances all work and it's a loose song so it's open to interpretation about how it could sound. This interpretation works fine. It is a little 'boxy' and attenuating a couple of dB in the 150-200hz region could really open it up. You could do it to the overall mix and it would help but it would also be good to go back into the mix and see where that lower midrange/upper lows build up happens. I suspect the bass but I always suspect the bass because a bass once cheated me out of $400. Long story.
(05-04-2021, 12:45 PM)RoyM Wrote: It feels ok. The balances all work and it's a loose song so it's open to interpretation about how it could sound. This interpretation works fine. It is a little 'boxy' and attenuating a couple of dB in the 150-200hz region could really open it up. You could do it to the overall mix and it would help but it would also be good to go back into the mix and see where that lower midrange/upper lows build up happens. I suspect the bass but I always suspect the bass because a bass once cheated me out of $400. Long story.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I've just tried cutting in the area you suggested and found it to make an excellent improvement, it really did "open up" the mix as you said. My experiments at the instrument level seem to me to confirm your suspicions that the bass was responsible, so in this case your anti-bass prejudice (bass-ism you might call it?) seems to have led to the right conclusions! Thank you again!