Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speak Softly - Broken Man
Thats my mix of the Speak Softly’s ‘Broken Man’.

Mixdown Info:

— Equilibrate the volume of all the tracks for each one can be heard clearly.
— Used parametric equalizers to emphasize the essential regions and attenuate the most unnecessary frequencies of each track.
— Added single-band compressors in almost all tracks, giving them more solidity and “pression”.
— Added some effects: Drums 1 & 2—Flanger (Light); Piano 3 & 4—Bouncing Ball Delay; Lead Vocals—Bouncing Ball Delay/Telephone Voice at the Outro.
— Added a convolution reverb in each track to give them brightness and ambience.

Mastering Info:

— Gave a little gain on Upper Mids and Highs.
— Added a multi-band compressor.
— Added a Hard Limiter on -1 dB to give the mix maximum volume without over the VU Meter.

And thats it! Hope you enjoy guys, I did my best here!
Any constructive comments are welcome! Big Grin

.mp3    Speak Softly - Broken Man [Remastered].mp3 --  (Download: 5.69 MB)

nice balance between all the tracks, and i like the reverbs and delays. Vocals could use some de-essing during the verses. i would be a little careful with using all that compression though (especially mastering) it really sucks the life out of the song and makes it sound flat (dynamically). you lose a sense of depth with all that compression (i.e. the pianos dont sound like they are in a 3 dimensional place). Keep it up! i like that cool little effect on the vocal at the very end
Thanks so much for your comment, JClean17!
It's been a while since I made this mix (that was my third of all time), and hearing it now, I completely agree about the compression. I'm gonna try to go easy with it nex time. Thank you once more!