Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Joy - Nearly there
This is my mix, any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
F.

.mp3    Jesse Joy - Nearly there.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

Hey, the guitar is too loud, masking the voice mostly.
I'm not sure I agree with EWG on the symptom but I think I know what's causing the reaction.

Have you panned the cello right and guitar left? The vocals seem mostly on the right to me but that may be the panning causing the effect. A tip I picked up that may be useful to you is to listen to the mix in mono. In fact, I do it all the time now since I discovered it because you get the benefit of hearing when parts disappear into the mix that you thought were standing out. It's not perfect but it has improved the quality of my work immensely.

I don't think you're compressing your cello? If not, perhaps consider it. The dynamic variability is swamping the mix and causing some of what EWG was saying.

I think you've done a pretty good job.
Yes I've slightly panned the guitar left and the cello right and the voice is center as well as the drums.
I use to listen mixes in mono and this in particular changes very few when switching on off.
On the cello there is a small amount of compression because, especially on the solo i like to hear the dynamic movement....it's probably too much dynamic.

Thank you for the advices