Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Crownoise - Wickeman
This one was very fun and loved the song, lots of cool attitude and i love the lyrics totally agree! Smile. I haven't heard any mixes yet so will be fun to hear ya'lls. I went for a darker tone for this one, wanted it a bit brighter but it got this way. I love a band that i though was kinda like this song called Korn, have listened alot on them; Thought of Evolution with Korn - Here is mine.

.mp3    Wickerman.mp3 --  (Download: 7.35 MB)

Quote:wanted it a bit brighter but it got this way
It's funny how these things start v.s. end, isn't it?

I think the mix got a little muddled at the low end and the echo/reverb effect compounded it. There are a lot of guitar tracks in this song all competing for the same sonic space. Not sure if you did it but high passing your guitar tracks might have helped with the muddiness.  Also, I found that I needed to figure out what kind of signature sound I wanted for the song - there was lots to choose from - so I tried to feature one sound and then use the other guitars almost like an orchestral arrangement to just support or bring out certain elements when they needed to come out.

Good mix. You made some decisions I hadn't thought of so this is all a part of the learning process for me.  Thanks for letting me learn from your work.
Hey DiscoDynamo, thanks for the input. Glad that you got something out of listening to it Smile Mixing is an artform, always fun to compare others.
(28-03-2021, 11:54 PM)crownoise Wrote: This one was very fun and loved the song, lots of cool attitude and i love the lyrics totally agree! Smile. I haven't heard any mixes yet so will be fun to hear ya'lls. I went for a darker tone for this one, wanted it a bit brighter but it got this way. I love a band that i though was kinda like this song called Korn, have listened alot on them; Thought of Evolution with Korn - Here is mine.
Very nice mix Crownoise nice balance overall. I feel it could use a bit more crack on the snare maybe a more airy verb?
 A bit more hat and ride for bit of sizzle.
Verb seems a bit much on the voc for me but voc sounds nice and full.
Maybe a touch more of the dirt bass.
Just my personal taste so take what you will from it.

For some reason I'm not able to get all the way through about halfway it starts over not sure what's up with that will try again later.
Cheers
(28-03-2021, 11:54 PM)crownoise Wrote: This one was very fun and loved the song, lots of cool attitude and i love the lyrics totally agree! Smile. I haven't heard any mixes yet so will be fun to hear ya'lls. I went for a darker tone for this one, wanted it a bit brighter but it got this way. I love a band that i though was kinda like this song called Korn, have listened alot on them; Thought of Evolution with Korn - Here is mine.
I really like the grit of the vocals in your mix and how the vocals fit right in with guitar tracks. I think you nailed the overall tone of your guitars.. really like it.

I think I hear a little bit of harshness in the vocals though and I feel like your drums lose some of their impact when the vocal is playing.

Sounds good overall though!
(05-04-2021, 06:40 PM)motomojo Wrote:
Very nice mix Crownoise nice balance overall. I feel it could use a bit more crack on the snare maybe a more airy verb?
 A bit more hat and ride for bit of sizzle.
Verb seems a bit much on the voc for me but voc sounds nice and full.
Maybe a touch more of the dirt bass.
Just my personal taste so take what you will from it.

For some reason I'm not able to get all the way through about halfway it starts over not sure what's up with that will try again later.
Cheers
Thanks for the feedback, i take everything in. Smile.  Try to see if you have some markers on repeat in your daw.
(05-04-2021, 10:09 PM)pgcurrie Wrote:
I really like the grit of the vocals in your mix and how the vocals fit right in with guitar tracks. I think you nailed the overall tone of your guitars.. really like it.

I think I hear a little bit of harshness in the vocals though and I feel like your drums lose some of their impact when the vocal is playing.

Sounds good overall though!
Hey man! Thanks for feedback, really glad you like it. Okay is the harshness ringy in the vocals or harsh in some other way? Thanks again.
Nice vibe to the mix. I like the tonality of the vocals. I thought the verb was a bit too much on the guitars and got a bit muddled but I can appreciate what you are going for.
Thanks for input! I thought they where a tiny to wet after listening day after, think if I'd gained them more dry volume would be spparent. Maybe if I'd eqed some 3k back they would seem tiny more raw sort of, i know what you mean.
Not much to add but really dig the dirt on the vocal! Looking forward to hearing more! 

Cheers!