Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More information about 'Wickerman'
[Lester from the band provided the following information for you all. Over to you Lester...]

Hi everyone!

Here's some background about this project in case it's helpful… but of course you're free to take the songs in any direction you wish!

Tempos: We actually only used a click at the beginning of the song, because our drummer felt having it all the way through would detract from the feel. His time is pretty solid so the tempos don't fluctuate too far from the initial tempo, especially after the drums have entered.

References -- mix engineers:
  • I love Joe Barresi's approach to guitar and bass blending. Joe's guitar sound is just to die for and if I was a millionare I would definitely go to him for a mix. The sounds he gets are definitely my aspirational target. He is a wizard in my book. (Here is a very cool YouTube session where he explains his approach and gives some details of tricks and techniques he uses: Mixing Distorted Guitars | High Gain Tips by Joe Barresi, He also sheds some light on how he achieves his amazing bass sound and his guitar/bass blend. He creates dirt in the bass to get the guitar-bass blend: Mixing Bass Guitar Fat Bottomed Tips from Joe Barresi.)
  • For drums I always prefer the live sound of people like Steve Albini compared to an over-produced drum sound. For me the open sound of a real kit is always the winner. (Here is Steve Albini talking about his drum sounds: Recording Drums with Steve Albini. And here he is talking about his approach to analogue mixing: Steve Albini Analog Mixing Session Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 & Part 6)

References -- other bands:
  • I love The Dillinger Escape Plan's sound. Here is a track of theirs called Milk Lizard.
  • Mastodon are also a band I like the sound of. Here is a track of theirs called Blood and Thunder.
  • These guys too: Kverlertek. Here is a track of theirs called Blotorst. They are probably more of a rocky sound compared to us… but it is just such a great hard rock track!
  • But probably my go to band who have it all going on are Helmet. Nice open live drums and a wall of fabulously and fatly distorted gats (guitars). Here is a great track of their's called Renovation from the great album Aftertase.
Having said all that, please go in whatever direction you like -- I just thought I'd give some background as to where our heads are at as a band, our influences, and what we like in terms of approaches to the sound..

I hope you enjoy mixing the songs as much as we enjoy playing them. Feel free to extend them in any way you'd like… bordering on dance even... Big Grin Have fun!

And here's a bunch of promotional and publicity material for Eat The Feeder (mixes, photos, bios, etc.) if you'd like to have a look.

I look forward to hearing your mixes!

Best regards,

Lester Davies (of Eat the Feeder)