Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique welcome
I found this track by accident last week and i just had to do a mix, this is one of those songs that grows on you, bigtime.

I did see fab mixing this on youtube a while ago so some of his tips might have made it into my mix Smile

I'm unsure how to add the file and player so i'll just add a link to box, it should play fine from there.

https://www.box.com/s/fvp9k3r2tckx6yv5obl4

Cheers

Edit:
Worked out how to attach the file / player, maybe easier for people to listen and hopefully leave feedback. Big Grin

its the same file as in the box link, no changes to the mix.

Cheers again.

.mp3    Cog in the machine - M1- 270912.mp3 --  (Download: 3.83 MB)

A lot of this mix feels very natural to me, so props to your balancing skills there. Maybe the guitar feels a bit too far up front, so some additional ambience verb on that might not be a bad idea. The violin seems a bit low on its solo too, so I'd ride the fader there.

Overall, I though your mix maybe had a bit too much 200-300Hz in it, as well as a deficiency in the upper octaves -- nothing that a master-buss EQ couldn't remedy, though. However, there is one note in the bass where its fundamental really leaps out incongrouously, so I'd do something about that -- it's at 72Hz, and there's an example at 1:35, for instance.
Mike, thankyou so much for taking the time to post your thoughts on my mix, i really appreciate it.
I will review this mix at sometime and address the areas you outlined, but it won't be straight away, house renovations Smile.

Cheers