Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A surprisingly tricky - 1 of the First
Greeting, fellow Mixers and Mixettes.

The tracks in this seemed straightforward at first but the complexity of the mix grew with each pass, mostly owing to the guitars. I can't say I've done those instruments justice here, mostly I tried a few things to get them to blend into the feel and texture of the piece which was dominated by the fretless and the 1st sax.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the listen,
mITc

.mp3    Pawel Maciwoda - 1 of the First.mp3 --  (Download: 10.87 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey mITc,

you have created smooth, lush soundscape which works especially well in the quieter sections, like 3:00 imo.

I can aprecciate the effort that went into managing the acoustic guitar, but the hard-panned faked doubling is distracting to me.
I like what you did with the drums, the snare sounds very smooth. Maybe the kick could come out a touch more?

I like the interplay between the sax and the bass, but on some of the louder saxophone phrases the room sound comes out, which does not want to blend with the spacious reverb on the sax itself.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
(15-04-2021, 08:35 AM)LukasL Wrote: Hey mITc,

you have created smooth, lush soundscape which works especially well in the quieter sections, like 3:00 imo.

I can aprecciate the effort that went into managing the acoustic guitar, but the hard-panned faked doubling is distracting to me.
I like what you did with the drums, the snare sounds very smooth. Maybe the kick could come out a touch more?

I like the interplay between the sax and the bass, but on some of the louder saxophone phrases the room sound comes out, which does not want to blend with the spacious reverb on the sax itself.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Lucas.
Thank you for the honest evaluation of my mix and for the compliments. Certainly the guitars are the weakest part of this mix as I just tried to minimize their value and place them in a textural mode only. I was not happy with the raw tracks for how they fit into the bigger picture but I think I just ran out of creative ideas for them or more, failed to understood how the artist wanted them used in the composition.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
your mix is cool, i like it. only the ac-gtr is annoying, but it is also very poorly recorded (not your mistake). you separated two bass guitars nicely. only the kick could be mixed louder.
cheers
dryfat
(17-04-2021, 12:39 PM)dryfat Wrote: your mix is cool, i like it. only the ac-gtr is annoying, but it is also very poorly recorded (not your mistake). you separated two bass guitars nicely. only the kick could be mixed louder.
cheers
dryfat
Agreed on the acoustic guitars. I was in a quandary as to where to place those. I got a bit lazy with them. However, I am OK with the placement of the kick as I did not think it should be up in the mix against the two bass guitar parts.

Thanks for your comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]