Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A surprisingly tricky - 1 of the First
Greeting, fellow Mixers and Mixettes.

The tracks in this seemed straightforward at first but the complexity of the mix grew with each pass, mostly owing to the guitars. I can't say I've done those instruments justice here, mostly I tried a few things to get them to blend into the feel and texture of the piece which was dominated by the fretless and the 1st sax.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the listen,
mITc

.mp3    Pawel Maciwoda - 1 of the First.mp3 --  (Download: 10.87 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey mITc,

you have created smooth, lush soundscape which works especially well in the quieter sections, like 3:00 imo.

I can aprecciate the effort that went into managing the acoustic guitar, but the hard-panned faked doubling is distracting to me.
I like what you did with the drums, the snare sounds very smooth. Maybe the kick could come out a touch more?

I like the interplay between the sax and the bass, but on some of the louder saxophone phrases the room sound comes out, which does not want to blend with the spacious reverb on the sax itself.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
(15-04-2021, 08:35 AM)LukasL Wrote: Hey mITc,

you have created smooth, lush soundscape which works especially well in the quieter sections, like 3:00 imo.

I can aprecciate the effort that went into managing the acoustic guitar, but the hard-panned faked doubling is distracting to me.
I like what you did with the drums, the snare sounds very smooth. Maybe the kick could come out a touch more?

I like the interplay between the sax and the bass, but on some of the louder saxophone phrases the room sound comes out, which does not want to blend with the spacious reverb on the sax itself.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Lucas.
Thank you for the honest evaluation of my mix and for the compliments. Certainly the guitars are the weakest part of this mix as I just tried to minimize their value and place them in a textural mode only. I was not happy with the raw tracks for how they fit into the bigger picture but I think I just ran out of creative ideas for them or more, failed to understood how the artist wanted them used in the composition.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
your mix is cool, i like it. only the ac-gtr is annoying, but it is also very poorly recorded (not your mistake). you separated two bass guitars nicely. only the kick could be mixed louder.
cheers
dryfat
(17-04-2021, 12:39 PM)dryfat Wrote: your mix is cool, i like it. only the ac-gtr is annoying, but it is also very poorly recorded (not your mistake). you separated two bass guitars nicely. only the kick could be mixed louder.
cheers
dryfat
Agreed on the acoustic guitars. I was in a quandary as to where to place those. I got a bit lazy with them. However, I am OK with the placement of the kick as I did not think it should be up in the mix against the two bass guitar parts.

Thanks for your comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey mixingthecloud,
The whole thing sounds very harmonious. Everything is well balanced. 
However it lacks a little life, it has no bite. Maybe “lightening up” everything would have more impact? 
In any case, very good work..
Franz.
(17-04-2024, 10:40 PM)Franz Wrote: Hey mixingthecloud,
The whole thing sounds very harmonious. Everything is well balanced. 
However it lacks a little life, it has no bite. Maybe “lightening up” everything would have more impact? 
In any case, very good work..
Franz.
When I listened to the song my first impression of it did not include it needing more 'bite'. IMHO, this was not a song or arrangement that called for bite, but more of a softer dreamscape. First impressions are important and I followed mine here. I listened to your mix and it is certainly livelier than mine and sounds good.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I absolutely agree with you about “first impression”. Like you, I am also sensitive to this feeling. I have observed that in many situations in which a mix has undergone numerous revisions, a good number of listeners have not adhered to v4, V5, etc... but ultimately almost unanimously return to the first two versions. Once again you are right: if you are not "in the subject" (for various reasons), there is no point in working on multiple versions. But hey, everyone does what they want. And so I completely understand your point of view regarding your version of “1 For the First”. You found a good musical atmosphere, you developed it well and finally why should you change it? We always tend to want to impose our ideas. The limit would be to offer them. Afterwards, everyone decides on their own what they want to do or not do.
(18-04-2024, 03:33 PM)Franz Wrote: I absolutely agree with you about “first impression”. Like you, I am also sensitive to this feeling. I have observed that in many situations in which a mix has undergone numerous revisions, a good number of listeners have not adhered to v4, V5, etc... but ultimately almost unanimously return to the first two versions. Once again you are right: if you are not "in the subject" (for various reasons), there is no point in working on multiple versions. But hey, everyone does what they want. And so I completely understand your point of view regarding your version of “1 For the First”. You found a good musical atmosphere, you developed it well and finally why should you change it? We always tend to want to impose our ideas. The limit would be to offer them. Afterwards, everyone decides on their own what they want to do or not do.
I got happy with this mix from the start and really felt no need for revisions in this case. Revisions are almost always a part of my postings here, if not for other observers to review, at least for me to listen to a genesis of a mix done months or years ago. And yes, often the earlier versions of a mix hold the best emotional content while later ones tend to get mired in minutia. I'll typically go up to 7 revisions. Rarely after that, have I held onto the song. Returning days if not weeks later is the better approach at that juncture, for me.

The biggest difference we as mixers have here, is that there is no client. That means no definitive music/mix direction, nor monetary or time constraints. We here, just play in that arena. And it makes a world of difference. We get to imagine anything we want of the tracks offered here. No right, no wrong. Is it a learning experience? It can be, but often not. Hearing how others interpret a song can be enlightening from both the similarities various mixers hear, to the unique renderings of others and everything in between. Can we spot mixers who are new and struggling as opposed to those with skills but a completely different approach or ear towards something?  Certainly. Lending early mixers a hand can be rewarding.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey MTC, nice one. nice to hear a different genre being presented. listened too you mix a couple of times over to get a good feel for the intension of this piece ,and also read above comments. I have not listen to preview track.

I love your chosen tone of this piece and I think this is right for this type of piece of music; I want to be chilled ,laid back ,in the dark , speakers up. you have created the tone for that listening experience.

my critique is MPT.... all good on image choice. element balance, nice jazz feel laid back drums, ;; snare top end, only in intro, to much ; maybe snare needs to be quieter just at that point.
If piano low mids could be reduced to make bass carry low end not sure if that is verb or tone of element ,just to clear a slight build up.

Acoustic guitar I would dump it.... or cut 2k through to 2000hz or bury it so soft, It gives nothing to the arrangement ,it is distracting and badly recorded. ( not your fault).

I would like to hear ever element is same room,; not to much so.
The sax, we all have our personal taste, I think IT SOUND LUSH AS IS ;BUT, for me I would search for those magic FQs that just separates it form the rest of the brass section.
nice balance of brass elements , nice that the trumpet not bleeding my ears.

All in all nice one ,nice work. l
listened with buds, sounding good on translation.

Keep on keeping on .