Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Blues Bastards - Lights Out
Such a fun song. Thanks for the great tracks!

I tried to keep the energy and spirit of the song present in the guitars and the vocal. Had to work in the dotted 8th delay on the vox, too haha!

Thanks for listening. Looking forward to critiques.

.mp3    Blues Bastards - Lights Out V1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.44 MB)

Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones
Hi PhilThePeel like the vocal fxs,nice smooth mix,i feel though once all instruments are in the vocals is slightly lost, and maybe a bit more focus on kick and snare?,interesting take though, well done.
Reaper user
(19-03-2021, 02:22 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi PhilThePeel like the vocal fxs,nice smooth mix,i feel though once all instruments are in the vocals is slightly lost, and maybe a bit more focus on kick and snare?,interesting take though, well done.

Thanks for listening! I'll take a look at those things!
Thanks for listening!
I love that reverse reverb , really nice idea Smile)
(21-03-2021, 11:24 PM)zekeriya_caglar Wrote: I love that reverse reverb , really nice idea Smile)

Thanks! Lots of space for vocal effect on this one.
Thanks for listening!
Nice mix, buddy! Almost everything fitting together as a good mix should do!

I would do some artistic changes that I fits my taste, but think it's not constructive since mix is subjective at some point!

But I would give a look at the intro, maybe the guitars are fighting with the vocals, I liked the stereo sub that you give on the bass, I would lower it in the intro to give some impact when the band hits, sounds like the subs were higher at the intro! Thinking about making the music grow while it happens it might be interesting to make the sub a little lower in the intro so it have that "growing" thing. Hehe!

I would give a look at the hi mids of the guitars, maybe hold then a bit, and the kick/bass sub looks like there's something in the really sub that could be cleaned a bit, maybe the bass? I dont know!

But great work anyways! Cheers!
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
Would be a pleasure to work with you!
[email protected]
(23-03-2021, 06:13 PM)andreybenassi Wrote: Nice mix, buddy! Almost everything fitting together as a good mix should do!

I would do some artistic changes that I fits my taste, but think it's not constructive since mix is subjective at some point!

But I would give a look at the intro, maybe the guitars are fighting with the vocals, I liked the stereo sub that you give on the bass, I would lower it in the intro to give some impact when the band hits, sounds like the subs were higher at the intro! Thinking about making the music grow while it happens it might be interesting to make the sub a little lower in the intro so it have that "growing" thing. Hehe!

I would give a look at the hi mids of the guitars, maybe hold then a bit, and the kick/bass sub looks like there's something in the really sub that could be cleaned a bit, maybe the bass? I dont know!

But great work anyways! Cheers!

Thanks Andrey!

The arrangement of the song is great, but if I were the bass player, I would go an octave down when the band hits. The higher octave fits, but kinda takes away from the impact. I think you're right that there is more that I could do to build. I'll look at a surgical high pass on the mix/mix busses too and see if that cleans up the sub lows.

I'd love to hear your more subjective/artistic opinions as well!
Thanks for listening!
This version includes very small tweaks to address some of the critiques here:

- Tried to find a bit more focus on the snare and kick. I didn't use any samples here, so I feel like the snare might be as far as I can get it without doubling. I adjusted the parallel compression a little.
- Tried to build up the bass a little better at the beginning.
- I sidechained the Vox to the guitars and its doing about 3dB max. This might not have been the right move, but I wanted to keep the energy of the guitars and just have the vocal cut its own hole whenever he sings.
- High passed the mix (only to like 30Hz) to try and get rid of bad stuff. 
- Did a tiny little baby boost to low mids to the guitars to try and make a little more mid range to perhaps balance out the top end.
- I had to stem down the BGVs so my computer could handle the project, so they sit a little different in this one.

.mp3    Blues Bastards - Lights Out V1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.44 MB)

Thanks for listening!
a nice mix... good energy and a thing I like that lots of people seem to miss is it sounds like a band having some fun
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. ~ E.K.
(27-03-2021, 02:27 AM)tgraph Wrote: a nice mix... good energy and a thing I like that lots of people seem to miss is it sounds like a band having some fun

Thanks for listening! I’ve been focusing on vibe lately. I’m glad it translated for you.
Thanks for listening!