Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around - Leaf Mix
I was having some fun with this one. (yes, its nice to have a quiet day at the studio to play around for a change)

Intro & Outro was on an EQ sweep (I was too lazy to bounce down so I just did it on the Master Bus)

Took some liberties with the drums in some parts and created a badly out of time fill. Had a problem going back in to the final chorus. From the bridge (guitar solo) I had some fun trying to build it up but somehow I managed to loose the energy into that final chorus. Any ideas what could help?

.mp3    Leaf Come and Go MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 5.67 MB)

"Anything too dumb to be spoken should be sung" Know your bones - aKing
From a technical standpoint, the mix is solid. I think maybe the bass is a little bit heavy (in the bass guitar itself, not as a whole on the mix), but otherwise, the balance is there.

Your is one of those mixes that from a truly practical perspective, is fine. The drums are clear, the vocals stand out correctly and with subtle but effective processing, etc. From a personal standpoint, however, the mix seems dry. I know it isn't our job as engineers to turn songs into hits, but on its own this tune doesn't do a ton to grab attention and keep it. Maybe just getting a bit more ballsy with it or something would help.

Good job overall Nep!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(29-01-2014, 03:25 PM)grizwalter Wrote: Your is one of those mixes that from a truly practical perspective, is fine. The drums are clear, the vocals stand out correctly and with subtle but effective processing, etc. From a personal standpoint, however, the mix seems dry. I know it isn't our job as engineers to turn songs into hits, but on its own this tune doesn't do a ton to grab attention and keep it..

My horrible live sound habits do need to be broken. Im so used to having to work with what I have and making that sound great that I have to get back in to the studio mindset where I can be more liberal with some tracks. But Im also a very dry mixer on vocals. I think its because of my pet hatred due to always being asked for verb in the monitors... hahahaha

I wil go have another stab at it, but thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

P.S Im getting used to the monitors of mine, thus maybe the reason for the bass heavyness. Still have to go do the drive test.
"Anything too dumb to be spoken should be sung" Know your bones - aKing