Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sailor Once More-Memphis Mix
Hi

Lots to mix and separate on this one, Tried to keep it balanced.
Vocal Front and centre and build instruments around it 

Keep rockin Cool
Pete

.mp3    A Sailor Was Born.mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

Nice mix Memphis. I like the way you kept some ringy lowend in the guitars, i think it was a smart move to sort of push it into distortion to get rid of those nasty thumps. The vocal seems a bit to ringy for my taste, i think this could be due to over compression, limiting or clipping is often a better way to get vocals more upfront, compression often just brings artifacts up but you on a good way, vocal sure seem upfront to me so thats good. Gj on this one.
(08-03-2021, 11:22 PM)crownoise Wrote: Nice mix Memphis. I like the way you kept some ringy lowend in the guitars, i think it was a smart move to sort of push it into distortion to get rid of those nasty thumps. The vocal seems a bit to ringy for my taste, i think this could be due to over compression, limiting or clipping is often a better way to get vocals more upfront, compression often just brings artifacts up but you on a good way, vocal sure seem upfront to me so thats good. Gj on this one.
Hi 

thanks for the feedback , much appreciated . been working a little bit on the vocal so might try a bit of limiting and put up a v2. The Acoustics were controlled quite a bit and saturated .

Thanks
Pete
Nice guitars at the start! Hard R/L pan works well. Maybe reduce boxiness, while keeping low end. Keeping the guitars at full frequency range gives the song a good folky quality. Some mixers have cut bottom end and put bass and drums stronger - I think that would take away from the folky character of the song. 
Nice how the drums kick in and build the energy. High compression on the snare, no? Keeps it from sticking out which I thought was good. Maybe a bit too stadium rock sound? The kick is subdued and does not dominate, which I like. It ended up a bit clicky - maybe tame the beater frequencies?
Nice creamy background vox. Maybe bring up a bit more at the end? They are very pretty. 
It sounds like you were not sure what to do with the flute/whistle. It seems to have a room reverb around it, rather than a wide hall or plate - so it sits a bit lonely in a box. I would think you can let that shine a bit more.