Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper To A Scream (Zachary Cox Mix)
Hi guys,

Really enjoyed mixing the instrumental of this, however i just couldn't get along with the vocals so I've tried to take a slightly different approach than most people probably have. I think it still works and hopefully you'll think the same!

Compared to my usual approach to mixing drums these are slightly more processed. I thought id give it a try after listening to the new Skindred album (Out yesterday, 27th) where the drums are compressed to within an inch of their life. I figured if it can be done on a commercially produced album like that, no harm is done by me posting it to a forum!!

Many thanks in advance for any feedback Big Grin

Zac

.m4a    Whisper To A Scream (First Bounce).m4a --  (Download: 9.88 MB)

Music Tech Student.
London College of Music.
Hello.

Nice mix. I really like that big vocal sound with bvox and that solo guitar sound good although a little loud.
But I think you need to work a little more with drum ohs. Some part you can't hear and some are really up front. More automation.
Other drums could be a little louder and snare could have a little more attack/presence.
Could also be that if you have a hint too much processed sound like you wrote and if some limiter is taking the power out of drums.
But controlled(processed) sound fit to this song so if there isn't a limiter hitting 6 db or more gain reduction then probably just adjust the drum bus.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
This sounds awesome. Did you master it as well? It sounds really clear and full.
Hi Zac:
I appreciate the fact that you tried something different. I always enjoy hearing things that I wouldn't do on my own. I'm not a fan personally on distortion on vocals but I can see where some like it. You got a nice mix out of it though the solo is a bit loud and sounds pretty compressed as the room is a little too present (or maybe you added a different verb on it), but it makes it stick out as that room sound is only there (or at least so present) during that solo so when it goes away it is really noticeable.

Minor things. Overall you have a great start on this one! Thanks for sharing.

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
(29-01-2014, 12:40 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: Hello.

Nice mix. I really like that big vocal sound with bvox and that solo guitar sound good although a little loud.
But I think you need to work a little more with drum ohs. Some part you can't hear and some are really up front. More automation.
Other drums could be a little louder and snare could have a little more attack/presence.
Could also be that if you have a hint too much processed sound like you wrote and if some limiter is taking the power out of drums.
But controlled(processed) sound fit to this song so if there isn't a limiter hitting 6 db or more gain reduction then probably just adjust the drum bus.

Hi Moonwrist,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, listening back the drums could definitely do with more presence in parts. Automation was something id overlooked in this one with the drums being sequenced. Id been quite careful to maintain transients and they've all got headroom but the snare could definitely be worked on some more.

I'll definitely revisit this track, thanks again!
Music Tech Student.
London College of Music.
(12-02-2014, 05:23 PM)johnnylokke Wrote: Hi Zac:
I appreciate the fact that you tried something different. I always enjoy hearing things that I wouldn't do on my own. I'm not a fan personally on distortion on vocals but I can see where some like it. You got a nice mix out of it though the solo is a bit loud and sounds pretty compressed as the room is a little too present (or maybe you added a different verb on it), but it makes it stick out as that room sound is only there (or at least so present) during that solo so when it goes away it is really noticeable.

Minor things. Overall you have a great start on this one! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Johnny!

Wow its great to get some feedback from the artist himself! Thanks a bunch!

The solo guitar has a huge hall verb on it quite quiet, possibly a bad call by myself just pushing for it to sound bigger than it already did. You are correct in noticing that particular space is only on the solo guitar though.
I'll definitely go tweak!

Cheers!
Music Tech Student.
London College of Music.