Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backroom in Tulsa - voelund
I started this mix long ago, for some reason i couldnt finish it.
Today I went through most of the tracks, automated, added the 2nd leadvocal as discrete chorus strengthener, eq¨d some more usin Logics eq to subtract and UA Pulteq emulator to boost wherever i found that needed.
I had a very gentle bus comp sidechained to vocals as they are the real star here and even though I didnt want to make them loud I wanted them to be audible evry word.

In mastering I took out a little bas and boosted little topend. I left most dynamixs as were, and even created and helped some.

Great song, great recordin and musicianship.

.mp3    Backroom in Tulsa 02a lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(27-01-2014, 05:51 PM)Voelund Wrote: I started this mix long ago, for some reason i couldnt finish it.
Today I went through most of the tracks, automated, added the 2nd leadvocal as discrete chorus strengthener, eq¨d some more usin Logics eq to subtract and UA Pulteq emulator to boost wherever i found that needed.
I had a very gentle bus comp sidechained to vocals as they are the real star here and even though I didnt want to make them loud I wanted them to be audible evry word.

In mastering I took out a little bas and boosted little topend. I left most dynamixs as were, and even created and helped some.

Great song, great recordin and musicianship.

hi Voeland,

can i just focus on the intro guitar for a second? i'm listening on headphones and the way this guitar is panned, i'm not getting a realistic impression of the stereo image as the guitar is totally void on the right channel. sounds freaky and unnatural which is leading to discomfort my end....can i ask what your vision was in taking this approach?

thanks for posting, and also in advance of your reply Wink

cheers!

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Lol - thats a very good question as I used the pannin from the project I started long ago, rememberin I had some very good reasons for pannin this way - maybe the roomtracks are panned so ? I liked it bein in one side when I heard it and just left it there.
But Im sorry to have made a mix makin you feel discomfort. That was in no way my intention.
Again that is what is likely to happen listenin to a mix from an amateur mixer as I consider myself, so I guess Im not in deep trouble Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Despite my age I remembered or guessed right. This snip of the room track indicates to me the guitar is to the left Big Grin

.mp3    room track.mp3 --  (Download: 654.08 KB)

(27-01-2014, 08:08 PM)Voelund Wrote: Despite my age I remembered or guessed right. This snip of the room track indicates to me the guitar is to the left Big Grin

oh cool, thanks for replying and for the clip too. but does the room track tell you how far it is to the left? perhaps because there's some evidence of reverb in the room track on the right but at a lower level, that you could, say, bring this geeetar in a bit instead of hard panning? then some of it will appear on the right side and give a realistic impression of space and thus provide a believable sound stage along with it.

so, if the ratio on the room track suggests 70 percent left, and 30 percent right, then the geetar could be panned accordingly whilst letting your ears make the final refinement?

i think you were brave using the room track! i threw mine out the window for the dogs to chase....that kick had more boom than a Concord jet breaking the sound barrier. now who's showing their age Smile

laters!

Bold decision throwing the room track out Big Grin
Its the room Tom Waits use to record Im told.
If its good enough for him its certainly good enough for me to try out.
Besides I were tempted to just use that and blend very little of the close mics, but I guess noone would like that mix but me ...
Sorry didnt answer your pan question. No the room track doesnt tell me. It indicates the guitar were placed somewhere to the left. I admit the pan could use an adjudtment, as there are center and a left and right ( not all the way) and nothin inbetween

That could be tomorrows task. Or one o them.
(27-01-2014, 11:59 PM)Voelund Wrote: Sorry didnt answer your pan question. No the room track doesnt tell me. It indicates the guitar were placed somewhere to the left. I admit the pan could use an adjudtment, as there are center and a left and right ( not all the way) and nothin inbetween

That could be tomorrows task. Or one o them.

i think it does because of the ratio of the reverbs presence in the L and R channels Wink

an alternative perhaps, especially if you like the hard pan, might be to Haas it on the other side to provide some balance? it's all subjective though.

Tom who? Smile
it might be the same room, but not necessarily the same sound characteristics, hey.

laters