Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1 Of The First
Hi!

My mix!

Thanks for listening!

PS
I listened to most of the other mixes. Instead of commenting on them, I suggest the following: Give your mix to a best friend to play it repeatedly at a romantic dinner with his girlfriend/wife (you know, wine, candles,smooth jazz,...). If the music (your mix) doesn’t bother her, you’ve done it well.  A friend will surely be grateful to you.

Google translate.

.mp3    1 Of The First_RK.mp3 --  (Download: 10.82 MB)

[quote pid='106711' dateline='1614367088']
Hi mike123,

I fully understand your approach. From a certain level of quality onwards, it is difficult to comment, as this has more to do with personal taste than with the "right" mixing techniques.  The drums in the beginning are impressive and nicely detailed. The use of the height axis stands out and is very nice. I don't know if this is the best option given the style of music but it is certainly defensible. I hear your mix as transparent, nicely balanced (maybe a little more automation here and there) but I miss a little bit of cohesiveness, glue. Nice reverb on the sax, just as it should be. Maybe the acoustic guitar is a little bit too pingy and distant? I would correct the mistake in the sax @ ± 1:00.
I really enjoyed exploring your mix.
Cheers,
FP

[/quote]
(04-03-2021, 10:37 AM)Frequency Painter Wrote: [quote pid='106711' dateline='1614367088']
Hi mike123,

I fully understand your approach. From a certain level of quality onwards, it is difficult to comment, as this has more to do with personal taste than with the "right" mixing techniques.  The drums in the beginning are impressive and nicely detailed. The use of the height axis stands out and is very nice. I don't know if this is the best option given the style of music but it is certainly defensible. I hear your mix as transparent, nicely balanced (maybe a little more automation here and there) but I miss a little bit of cohesiveness, glue. Nice reverb on the sax, just as it should be. Maybe the acoustic guitar is a little bit too pingy and distant? I would correct the mistake in the sax @ ± 1:00.
I really enjoyed exploring your mix.
Cheers,
FP

[/quote]
Hi!

Thanks for your comments. I agree with everything written. I really appreciate your approach to evaluating my mix. Less technique, more feeling.

All the best.
It's powerfull overall and sounds pretty well, except for a few things, first you've put too much low end energy on the left ear (mostly the kick I would say), so the mix as a weird unbalanced stereo image, second is the resonance on the sustain bass notes, but otherwise nice, better than what I did.
(04-03-2021, 07:47 PM)EarWeGo Wrote: It's powerfull overall and sounds pretty well, except for a few things, first you've put too much low end energy on the left ear (mostly the kick I would say), so the mix as a weird unbalanced stereo image, second is the resonance on the sustain bass notes, but otherwise nice, better than what I did.

Thanks for your comments. I need to check your findings, for which I am very grateful.

All the best