Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistrusted-Cascade
First try on this song. Comments welcome. Thanks.

*2 version.
I was able to put some meat on the drums, sounds a bit thicker and more power. I reigned in the FX on the guitar (verse) by sidechained it to the vocal. That seems to make things a bit clearer. Worked on the D-guitar a bit more and cleaned up the mud in it. The Upsnare didn't have any snap to it. It is a bit thicker but still no snap. Spent more time with compressors; it seems this type of music can take some abuse, so I clamped down quite a bit on them, especially the drums, mostly from paralleled. Hope I didn't over do it. I like how the mix is and where instruments sit in it. But if you hear anything out of "ordinary" then I hope you'll tell me. Thanks for the listen.

*3V
Got the snare up, was MIA. Worked on the bottom end a bit more.

.mp3    mistrusted-cascade-sonictramp.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

.mp3    mistrusted-cascade-sonictramp_1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

.mp3    mistrusted-cascade-sonictramp_2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

(26-02-2021, 12:32 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: First try on this song. Comments welcome. Thanks.
This is a decent mix. I think the vocals are processed all right. The verse guitar effect is okay, but it can sound a bit congested at times with resonances and the stereo effect. I would back it off a little bit. The drums are too weak. Maybe your kick and snare compression could be a bit more punchy, and it sounds like it could use some bus compression. The chorus guitar could also be a bit louder. Bass sounds all right to me.
(28-02-2021, 08:28 PM)Universe Man Wrote:
(26-02-2021, 12:32 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: First try on this song. Comments welcome. Thanks.
This is a decent mix. I think the vocals are processed all right. The verse guitar effect is okay, but it can sound a bit congested at times with resonances and the stereo effect. I would back it off a little bit. The drums are too weak. Maybe your kick and snare compression could be a bit more punchy, and it sounds like it could use some bus compression. The chorus guitar could also be a bit louder. Bass sounds all right to me.
*Thanks, man, for leaving a comment. I'll try another mix and see if I can improve all that mentioned. I run into all kinds of problems, so I try to correct them first, and, yeah, I am not going anywhere until it's fixed Smile. Right now I am working on another song from them (trapped). I like that song better, so...yeah, and I am not any better shape with that song either. I just can't seem to get the mix wide enough. I used "stereo width" (stock from pro tools), but when folded to mono, it falls apart. Right now still no idea. Help if you can. Thanks.
Nice solid bottom end .snare is getting lost tho in the chorus its near non existent
(28-02-2021, 08:48 PM)Pop SonicTramp Wrote:
*Thanks, man, for leaving a comment. I'll try another mix and see if I can improve all that mentioned. I run into all kinds of problems, so I try to correct them first, and, yeah, I am not going anywhere until it's fixed Smile. Right now I am working on another song from them (trapped). I like that song better, so...yeah, and I am not any better shape with that song either. I just can't seem to get the mix wide enough. I used "stereo width" (stock from pro tools), but when folded to mono, it falls apart. Right now still no idea. Help if you can. Thanks.
It sounds a little better now. With some mastering it would probably be fine. Missing a little high end in the drums, but they do come through a bit better. I’d avoid using stereo widening plugins if you can, as regular panning sounds more natural.
(01-03-2021, 08:24 AM)takka360 Wrote: Nice solid bottom end .snare is getting lost tho in the chorus its near non existent
Fair enough. Thanks for pointing it out for me. How it got away from me can be attributed to audio hallucination (one too many bong rips) Smile.
(01-03-2021, 11:12 PM)Universe Man Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 08:48 PM)Pop SonicTramp Wrote:
It sounds a little better now. With some mastering it would probably be fine. Missing a little high end in the drums, but they do come through a bit better. I’d avoid using stereo widening plugins if you can, as regular panning sounds more natural.
Yeah, man. I gave up on the stereo thing and followed your advice. This type of music don't mind being around the center I think. I just begin to hear "stuffs" so there are many things to work out. Just too damn many things to remember. well, we live and we learn, right? Thanks for the listens, man. I appreciate it.