Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix Critique
This was an interesting one to work on - those damn hi-hats!
Tried to balance up the piano nicely with the guitars in a Bruce Hornsby kind of way in certain passages which were very nice and melodic. Also automated EQ bands on the 2nd guitar to bring it up during the solo; I guess I could have multed that out to another track.
Low end balance comments would be particularly appreciated from people with sensible monitoring systems.
And thanks to all, and to MS for providing the content and great resources here.

.mp3    Kak Tvoi Dela Vova MP3 Master 24.02.21.mp3 --  (Download: 11.51 MB)

(24-02-2021, 11:52 AM)jlawford Wrote: This was an interesting one to work on - those damn hi-hats!
Tried to balance up the piano nicely with the guitars in a Bruce Hornsby kind of way in certain passages which were very nice and melodic. Also automated EQ bands on the 2nd guitar to bring it up during the solo; I guess I could have multed that out to another track.
Low end balance comments would be particularly appreciated from people with sensible monitoring systems.
And thanks to all, and to MS for providing the content and great resources here.
Here have added a "mastered" version - way too much 100hz in my original mix! Also pushed the level a little bit further with some limiting.

.mp3    Bruks Mastered MP3 15.03.21.mp3 --  (Download: 11.55 MB)

Not bad. Tones and balances are generally very good. My only thought would be the relative starkness of the snare drum. It seems to up front and could benefit by laying back a bit into the room for the drums. I get the Hornsby reference but I think the piano jumps out front a bit at times. Other than that this is a good listen. Very respectable mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(30-03-2021, 09:16 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not bad. Tones and balances are generally very good. My only thought would be the relative starkness of the snare drum. It seems to up front and could benefit by laying back a bit into the room for the drums. I get the Hornsby reference but I think the piano jumps out front a bit at times. Other than that this is a good listen. Very respectable mix.
I'll take that! Thanks for the comments - really trying to learn my monitoring and get things translating nicely. I only have (excellent) headphones for main monitoring hence the low-end question. Also - not surprised the piano jumps out given the large automation peaks I added to push it forward into the gaps. On reflection I'm happy with the ear-grabbing effect and can't let guitars rule the roost the whole time.

If you get a chance to have a listen to any of my other mixes that would be appreciated - I think they are getting better each time!

Thanks again.