Poll: How is this mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A masterpiece
0%
0 0%
'Aight
100.00%
2 100.00%
Bloody amateur
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gingham's Mix We'll Talk About It All
I like to think I'm finally getting my mixing skills down. What do you think?

.mp3    We\'ll Talk About It All(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.89 MB)

(24-02-2021, 11:33 AM)GinghamJones Wrote: I like to think I'm finally getting my mixing skills down. What do you think?

The file doesn't seem to be attached. It took me a few goes to get it right...
(24-02-2021, 04:17 PM)jlawford Wrote:
(24-02-2021, 11:33 AM)GinghamJones Wrote: I like to think I'm finally getting my mixing skills down. What do you think?

The file doesn't seem to be attached. It took me a few goes to get it right...

Man do I feel like a fool! I've spent at least 30 minutes trying to figure this out before realize I have to hit the attach button on the right... where's the face palm emoji when I need it? Anyway, it's up now.
Nice mix, and its not easy this it takes a fair bit of cleaning up
Nicely balanced and all the instruments sound clean and good tonally.
I do feel the mix as a whole is "scooped" with too much of the low-lows and high-highs. For instance a boost at around KHz brought out he vocal presence when I imported it into REAPER. Also I feel it's lacking some energy in the mids around 400-600Hz; all the frequencies we usually cut to clean up the sound but in this case I think went a little too far! This has deprived the vocal of some "bite"; it's warm and plenty of top but the mid-band is critical also.
Also I feel it's a bit overcompressed. The introduction for instance is way loud and doesn't give anywhere for the track dynamics to develop.
Minor points really but in the big picture they've added up to a slightly compromised mix in my opinion. Other than that great job with the balance and instrument tones.
Excellent, I'll go check my eqs and see if I was getting heavy handed with the low mid cuts. I feel like that was an issue on an EP I recently made too so I still haven't quite developed an ear for what's necessary low mids and what is too much. I don't think I used much compression as an effect but I did boost the level of the piano at the beginning so I think that's a good point to fix too. Thanks for the feedback!
Alright, here's round 2. I undid the volume automation at the beginning, lightened up the master limiter a bit because I realized it was hitting a little harder than I thought, and changed a couple eq's. Did that help?

.mp3    We\'ll Talk About It All v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.89 MB)

(28-02-2021, 08:53 AM)GinghamJones Wrote: Alright, here's round 2. I undid the volume automation at the beginning, lightened up the master limiter a bit because I realized it was hitting a little harder than I thought, and changed a couple eq's. Did that help?
? You've done a great job!

Mix is sounding a lot more balanced, everything has its place and the instruments cut through much better rather than being all bass and treble... Also the master limiter is helping things bounce along nicely in an up front kind of way, rather than squashing everything.

Check out Gregory Scott/Kush Audio on YouTube - he's got some really great videos that have impacted my approach to mixing - does the listener get an emotional connection to the music? I think in this mix, YES!

These changes have had a great effect!
Hey, thanks! Much appreciation for the replies