Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glen McPhee - A Sailor Once More (Hein-Ivan Mix)
A fine song and fun to mix. Thanks for listening and any comments. Cheers!

V2 small changes!

.mp3    Glen McPhee - A Sailor Once More.mp3 --  (Download: 8.12 MB)

.mp3    Glen McPhee - A Sailor Once More V2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.12 MB)

New version V2 small changes!
Greetings there,

What was the order of importance of the channels/tracks you tried to achieve? And the genre/effect?

I'm listening to V2: I like the overall balance, there is no muddiness, most instruments/parts that can be heard are clear – but I find the percussion and piano are too much in the forefront, and the song lack dynamics/dramatic arc/story.

So the whole thing feels like a nice, sparkling, well-packaged, competently done danseband. Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngeZU-vsjFo

The singing (which I think should be the most important, since to me this is a song with a story – and not a dansenummer that is just an excuse to dance, with little attention paid to lyrics/story) is in the 2nd layer (behind percussion and piano); the whistle (almost the only part that has any real melody Smile ) hides in like the 3rd layer or so, and there is always the percussion in front – technically expertly done, but kulturfremd.

However, you are one of the few, who uses the boy voices centrally (= as players nearly equally important to the main singer) – and I completely share your opinion on that (see description in the topic of my mix). Update: I have re-listened my mix now, and now I feel that mine, too, sounds like a danseband. Smile
(03-02-2022, 02:13 PM)RandomUser76fce8 Wrote: Greetings there,

What was the order of importance of the channels/tracks you tried to achieve? And the genre/effect?

I'm listening to V2: I like the overall balance, there is no muddiness, most instruments/parts that can be heard are clear – but I find the percussion and piano are too much in the forefront, and the song lack dynamics/dramatic arc/story.

So the whole thing feels like a nice, sparkling, well-packaged, competently done danseband. Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngeZU-vsjFo

The singing (which I think should be the most important, since to me this is a song with a story – and not a dansenummer that is just an excuse to dance, with little attention paid to lyrics/story) is in the 2nd layer (behind percussion and piano); the whistle (almost the only part that has any real melody Smile ) hides in like the 3rd layer or so, and there is always the percussion in front – technically expertly done, but kulturfremd.

However, you are one of the few, who uses the boy voices centrally (= as players nearly equally important to the main singer) – and I completely share your opinion on that (see description in the topic of my mix). Update: I have re-listened my mix now, and now I feel that mine, too, sounds like a danseband. Smile
Hello RandomUser76fce8! Many thanks for the feedback. I did mix this song picturing sitting in a small venue and listen to the band playing and where some of the audience was dancing to this nice song. Cheers!