Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blues Bastards - Lights Out
(01-03-2021, 02:24 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 08:26 PM)EarWeGo Wrote: The lead vocal doesn't reach out properly, it's like too far in front not having lot of life, your snare reverb sound a bit cheap too.
Interesting. On re-listen I'm not sure I agree. the vocal may be a bit out front in the beginning, sure, but it sits fine in the rest of the tune. That's a simple automation fix. But I can't say it lacks 'life'. I'm still buying whatever the vocalist is selling and honestly, I don't know shat he's selling. I'm not sure he is either. Which isn't meant to be an insult at all it's just a bit non sensical.

As far as the snare reverb, I had to really listen and focus to notice it and in dissenting opinion I don't think it sounds cheap, though I bet it was free. It sounds fine. It feels like a gated reverb. It works for the busy track. Dated? Maybe. But that works for the song. 

I dunno the criticism seems a bit hit and run and random - something I'm admittedly guilty of doing often - but not really helpful. What, if anything did you like of the tracks? Seems oddly harsh but maybe it's a French thing.

Well, I was just pointing things that pop right away while listening, that's all.

He was equally critical with my mix, so looks like it's not a "French thing" after all, who told you I was French btw? That's! odd Smile
(01-03-2021, 06:31 PM)EarWeGo Wrote: [quote pid='106837' dateline='1614605070']
who told you I was French btw? That's! odd Smile

I guess I just guessed. If i'm wrong then, mea culpa.
Meh, it's all good - I hope. Thanks EarWeGo for sharing your honest opinion back there. Do feel free to counter my thoughts in your thread of course if you disagree with them - my comments are only my inexpert opinion and some ideas that I hoped would help to get a killer mix.

The snare has two reverbs on it I think. I also did get the reverbs for free, as it happens... One of them is an IR from a preset on a 1980's reverb unit. Infact they probably both are.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(01-03-2021, 06:45 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 06:31 PM)EarWeGo Wrote: [quote pid='106837' dateline='1614605070']

who told you I was French btw? That's! odd Smile

I guess I just guessed. If i'm wrong then, mea culpa.

[/quote]

I see, I see, very perspicacious Roy Sleepy
Hi mikej good mix,i have done a few mixes of this but i keep overdoing the gtrs(harshness)you have controlled them very nicely, just the bass on intro is a little boomy around 0:25. working on mine when ever i can.well done.
Reaper user
Hi mikej! I like your version! Good job!