Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Blue Bastards - Lights Out
(25-02-2021, 02:17 PM)andreybenassi Wrote:
(25-02-2021, 12:19 PM)takka360 Wrote: samples,he does every mix
This is not true, but in this song I used it, without fear of being judged.  Smile
Nothing wrong with samples
V3..

One of my definitions of a “good mix” at both the subjective and objective level, is whether I can engage with the audio in a manner that doesn't cause me fatigue from an unbalanced spectral domain which fails to take into account the ear's non-linear characteristics for someone with unimpaired hearing.

Does this mixmaster meet that simple requirement?

No.

The screen grab attached shows an average and maximum spectral distribution (care of Voxengo Span) taken at just 0:07 seconds in. The highlighted part shown by a white line for the benefit of learners, details the hazard.  This range falls within the most sensitive region of a healthy human ear and needs careful consideration because of the consequences and significance. Any hype in this range is going to be received as “unpleasant”, some might even find it uncomfortable (women and children are especially vulnerable – it's biology).

Thankfully I didn't have my monitor device turned up for audition because this forum doesn't operate any Loudness Normalisation, so out of caution I always download and deploy ReplayGain to prevent myself being fooled by those who attempt to benefit from psychoacoustic advantages. Nevertheless, it was still “highly unpleasant” so I stopped listening at around 20 seconds in, not wishing to expose myself further to the unbalanced and over-biased spectral hype.

I will also mention that the bass synth part at this point, wasn't translating over my smallish speaker.

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(27-02-2021, 12:19 PM)Monk Wrote: V3..

One of my definitions of a “good mix” at both the subjective and objective level, is whether I can engage with the audio in a manner that doesn't cause me fatigue from an unbalanced spectral domain which fails to take into account the ear's non-linear characteristics for someone with unimpaired hearing.

Does this mixmaster meet that simple requirement?

No.

The screen grab attached shows an average and maximum spectral distribution (care of Voxengo Span) taken at just 0:07 seconds in. The highlighted part shown by a white line for the benefit of learners, details the hazard.  This range falls within the most sensitive region of a healthy human ear and needs careful consideration because of the consequences and significance. Any hype in this range is going to be received as “unpleasant”, some might even find it uncomfortable (women and children are especially vulnerable – it's biology).

Thankfully I didn't have my monitor device turned up for audition because this forum doesn't operate any Loudness Normalisation, so out of caution I always download and deploy ReplayGain to prevent myself being fooled by those who attempt to benefit from psychoacoustic advantages. Nevertheless, it was still “highly unpleasant” so I stopped listening at around 20 seconds in, not wishing to expose myself further to the unbalanced and over-biased spectral hype.

I will also mention that the bass synth part at this point, wasn't translating over my smallish speaker.
I appreciate your feedback, for the time spent trying to find a technical reason for your argument, even though it does not define a good or balanced mix in my point of view, you need more than that to judge in my opinion, but sounds correct what you've mentioned, maybe the guitars could be less "pinchy". It's okay.

It's a pity that you couldn't hear the whole song, but no problem, even CLA can't please everyone, who would I be? I'm really far from perfect.

I don't like too much "nerd" feedback of "why" I need to tame the highs (in teoric way)... I just don't work that way, I'm more of a feeling guy and it's always worked great for me.

The guitars are a bit harsh? Let's find a good spot for you, no problem at all.

Thinking about nerd tecnicall stuff, it was even greater that you didn't hear the whole song,  Tongue
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
Would be a pleasure to work with you!
[email protected]
Monk just likes to hear himself type.

The mix is fine. I find it a little bright when the whole band comes in. The snare could have a little less crack and more weight and not add to the upper mid energy. There's enough going on up there between the guitar and vocals The guitars aren't harsh. But it works as is. The lead vocal has some plosives that stand out in the first verse that could be fixed but there's nothing egregious.
Oh and the outro fade is too abrupt. After a song like this you need some way of coming down easier.
Come on guys! Its a bit long in the tooth now,give some other guys comments on this thread,I think there are a lot of envy for this guy,to me! Competition is good and this guy is quite good,deal with it people.
Reaper user
(27-02-2021, 04:20 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Come on guys! Its a bit long in the tooth now,give some other guys comments on this thread,I think there are a lot of envy for this guy,to me! Competition is good and this guy is quite good,deal with it people.
Assuming this is in reference to my post I'm not sure what the issue is. Could you clarify?
No Roy its the comments before.
Reaper user
Fair enough. Just checking
Guys, I'll give my opinion,

I put PRO MIXER on my topics and it really makes a difference to people listen to my mix, which really is the point of me putting it on!
I love feedbacks, but some of them I have to admit, run away from the "mix" context (light feedbacks, personal taste, context, etc!) and go more into a "agressive" way, where they criticize the fact that I am "Pro Mixer", which a lot of people directly assimilate the fact that my mix has to be absolutely perfect and I really have to make a mix that pleases everybody, which we can agree, it's not the case and it's almost impossible to do, without mention the fact that everyone has access to the multitracks, and they make the criticism exactly in details where they "had" or finded problems, like: Breathing on the voice track, a click that went unnoticed for not having done editing before, things that in general context, if we compare with other things like how clear is the vocals, if it's grooving or not, if its too much compressed, doesn’t make that much difference in the mix, of course details are important, but we're talking about minimal details that even in the original mix sometimes, went unnoticed.

But the most important point here, give a look how much people actually are "online" but doesn't comment anything? Just in "hot" topics.
Let's make this community greater, we have that potencial, just do it in a good way.
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
[email protected]
(27-02-2021, 03:45 PM)RoyM Wrote: Monk just likes to hear himself type.

The mix is fine. I find it a little bright when the whole band comes in. The snare could have a little less crack and more weight and not add to the upper mid energy. There's enough going on up there between the guitar and vocals The guitars aren't harsh. But it works as is. The lead vocal has some plosives that stand out in the first verse that could be fixed but there's nothing egregious.
Oh and the outro fade is too abrupt. After a song like this you need some way of coming down easier.
Feedbacks like this, I think it's the best! Thanks!
[email protected]