Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue me
First mix. Comments welcome. Thanks for the listen.

*Forgot about this song until someone left a message. So I went back and polished it up according to critiques. I was able to clean up the boxy bass, reinforce the drums, worked on the mandolin, especially where the low notes were playing. Let me know what you think if you have time. Thanks.

(3rd Version)

*the mandolin nagged me to no end, reeked with mud and bled with almost full blown snare and vox making my mix muddy and definitely not sexy. HP aggressively, good lord, all the way to 400Hz, where the snare ends and the mandolin begins. The mud went away. The mix seems thinner but that's alright. I can live with it. I'd thicken it some other ways. One down, a few thousands more to go Smile.

*Didn't think the mix was wide enough. Strapped a stock "stereo width" and played with it until it got wider.

*I wanted big room but the delay is killing me, too clean and clear, very unnatural. Side chained it using the vox, I was able to make it swell only after the vocal ends. Sounded a bit better.

Those were the 3 major things I have done among countless smaller moves, mostly masking issues.

It usually took me roughly 5-7 mixes to get to where I really wanted. Nowadays it takes about 3-4 Smile. So I still have one more try. Thanks for the listen. If you're interested, you can listen back to older mixes and see the progress. Listening skill is essential in this business.

.mp3    rescue me-Sonictramp-1-27-21_1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

.mp3    rescue me-Sonictramp-2-22-21_1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

.mp3    rescue me-Sonictramp-2-22-21_2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

(27-01-2021, 12:15 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: First mix. Comments welcome. Thanks for the listen.
Hello SonicTramp!. I like your mix a good idea to pan the guitars and mandolin. Maybe for me the bass is a tiny bit boxy, anyway a good job. Cheers!
(28-01-2021, 01:37 PM)heinim Wrote:
(27-01-2021, 12:15 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: First mix. Comments welcome. Thanks for the listen.
Hello SonicTramp!. I like your mix a good idea to pan the guitars and mandolin. Maybe for me the bass is a tiny bit boxy, anyway a good job. Cheers!
* Thanks Heinim, for leaving a comment. Glad you noticed the boxy bass. I thought it was slightly so but wasn't confident enough to go in there and carve it out. (I am still new with this. Sometimes I feel I don't even know what I don't know). Now I can go and do something since you confirmed it. Folks in here may need just that. Sometimes a problem correctly pointed out can help tremendously. I, for one, churned out hundreds of stupid mixes not too long ago and bc of the critiques of the community I gradually get better. So yeah, it pays to learn to take criticism well.

About the panning scheme: some dudes on the net told me when I want to pan something to the L, for example, then find something else similar in frequency and rhythm and pan to the opposite. In this song I find nothing like that but the mandolin seems to have enough weight to counter the guitar, and it's not like we have a lot of choices here, so it seems logical to pan them wide and hope I'll have a wider mix. The harder part was getting the mandolin to show up in the mix clearly. I am not too happy with the kick I have either, a little thump-y and not cutting thru as it should. I heard some mixes in here with awesome kick. Trying to duplicate that.

My advice to you is to go around and listen to the same song you mix since you know all the tracks and their problems. That's great way to learn, imo. I usually listen to at least 10 mixes in here before I start. That way I have a better idea on how to go about it. I know what I like and try to avoid what I don't. The second benefit is it forces you to listen more carefully and more critically since you don't want to mislead the mixer on what you like or don't like. In my opinion, both are equally worth doing. And sure criticism is never a good way to make friends, so just be cool and honestly state your opinions with an intention to help. They'll know. Hope you agree. Cheers!
(28-01-2021, 09:36 PM)SonicTramp Wrote:
(28-01-2021, 01:37 PM)heinim Wrote:
* Thanks Heinim, for leaving a comment. Glad you noticed the boxy bass. I thought it was slightly so but wasn't confident enough to go in there and carve it out. (I am still new with this. Sometimes I feel I don't even know what I don't know). Now I can go and do something since you confirmed it. Folks in here may need just that. Sometimes a problem correctly pointed out can help tremendously. I, for one, churned out hundreds of stupid mixes not too long ago and bc of the critiques of the community I gradually get better. So yeah, it pays to learn to take criticism well.

About the panning scheme: some dudes on the net told me when I want to pan something to the L, for example, then find something else similar in frequency and rhythm and pan to the opposite. In this song I find nothing like that but the mandolin seems to have enough weight to counter the guitar, and it's not like we have a lot of choices here, so it seems logical to pan them wide and hope I'll have a wider mix. The harder part was getting the mandolin to show up in the mix clearly. I am not too happy with the kick I have either, a little thump-y and not cutting thru as it should. I heard some mixes in here with awesome kick. Trying to duplicate that.

My advice to you is to go around and listen to the same song you mix since you know all the tracks and their problems. That's great way to learn, imo. I usually listen to at least 10 mixes in here before I start. That way I have a better idea on how to go about it. I know what I like and try to avoid what I don't. The second benefit is it forces you to listen more carefully and more critically since you don't want to mislead the mixer on what you like or don't like. In my opinion, both are equally worth doing. And sure criticism is never a good way to make friends, so just be cool and honestly state your opinions with an intention to help. They'll know. Hope you agree. Cheers!
Hi SonicTramp! Yes, I do agree on several points you are making. For me, I took the opportunity to mix 300+ of these tracks as a learning project. My way to do this was to not listen to the reference mixes or others before I started to mix. Only after mixing, I started to listen and now I'm in the process of re-mixing all the tracks to try and fix problems and incorporate others fine ideas.

Cheers!
Real good mix..only thing I noticed were more taste things than anything. Kick seems a bit to clicky for this genre and the wide panning of the BG vox pulls me away from the main vox...just a little distracting to me. Nice work!
(19-02-2021, 04:03 AM)chuck moe Wrote: Real good mix..only thing I noticed were more taste things than anything. Kick seems a bit to clicky for this genre and the wide panning of the BG vox pulls me away from the main vox...just a little distracting to me. Nice work!
*Thanks for leaving a comment. Appreciate the time spent. Noted and will try to get better. Thanks.