Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
21 grams (of pain, sure)
First crack at this song. Let me know what you think and I'll return the favor. I got good ears; I can hear dead people Smile. Thanks for the listen.

*Tidy up the mix and open it up a bit more.

.mp3    21grams-Sonictramp.mp3 --  (Download: 8.49 MB)

.mp3    21grams-Sonictramp_1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.49 MB)

Hey! You've got a really nice balance between the instruments.

I will make some suggestions to you to think about it.

There's something in the drums that's not souding right, I think the highs are going in and sometimes going out.
Looks like it could be some really bad phase issues, or some artistic effects like a phaser or something,
The snare could be more "open" to glue the drums together, feels like you're using a gate with a super fast release, try to let it breath more or even don't use it!

Try to open the pan of the drums, overheads, toms, hihats, looks like you set it almost all in the middle, and you're losting a lot of the free space that you have in the mix
Hard pan is great if you're it correctly, it will make your mix sound big and fuller!

I would suggest as well, try to low the vocal effects and the vocals too, it will lock things together better.

Its just suggestions, don't get me wrong!

Cheers!
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
Would be a pleasure to work with you!
[email protected]
Good ears, man. Yep, heard the hi on drums (from paralleled), LP it and it got better. I check phase, all was o.k.
I hate that snare, man. It all came from the OH. I didn't even use the individual one and still that ugly Smile. But I am not giving up, one of us has to...cry! I did mine, now it's the snare's turn. Btw, I got it where I want it now. Yeah, man, super guilty on the vocal FX, I back it off a bit and it sounds much better. But good thing is: I caught it all with you Smile. I could never do that then, not even a month ago. So shall we say it's a step up? Thanks for taking the time, man. I appreciate that. Cheers!
(22-02-2021, 02:37 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Good ears, man. Yep, heard the hi on drums (from paralleled), LP it and it got better. I check phase, all was o.k.
I hate that snare, man. It all came from the OH. I didn't even use the individual one and still that ugly Smile. But I am not giving up, one of us has to...cry! I did mine, now it's the snare's turn. Btw, I got it where I want it now. Yeah, man, super guilty on the vocal FX, I back it off a bit and it sounds much better. But good thing is: I caught it all with you Smile. I could never do that then, not even a month ago. So shall we say it's a step up? Thanks for taking the time, man. I appreciate that. Cheers!
I'm glad I can help you, a while ago I was the one who had a lot of doubts about how to get a sound that I'm sure was at least sounding "ok",

Let me tell you a secret that changed my game since I started doing...

Make a simple mix, EQ>COMP> should do all you need... "Oh, but this compressor in paralell give it a flavor", if you're starting, forget that, you need to get familiarized with balance, volume and eq in the main channel, sometimes a drum sample can help with real drums and it's ok to use, but try to make it simple.

Looks like it's harder, but it's not easy at all.

The biggest problems I had was wanting to imitate Andrew Scheps with all those compressors, looks like it was the secret I needed to dominate to get a great sounding mix, but I was completely wrong... I took years of steps back thinking this way.

Since I started to use less plugins, my mix start to sound more clean and open and in the finish process, artistic moves like bit of distortion and caracther here and there to give a final polish was so fun to do it, because my mix was sounding good from the beginning.
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
[email protected]
The drums of this track is absolute fantastic, it sound almost perfect without any moves... So, try to bypass some plugins, make it simple is a great way to succeed.

Like Manny Marroquin said "- Nobody wants a technical mix!
[email protected]
(22-02-2021, 02:57 AM)andreybenassi Wrote: The drums of this track is absolute fantastic, it sound almost perfect without any moves... So, try to bypass some plugins, make it simple is a great way to succeed.

Like Manny Marroquin said "- Nobody wants a technical mix!
* Thanks. Who am I to disagree with Manny, right? Yeah, I do try to limit my size of plugins, but, man, I can never, NEVER, get a good sound out of just 1 EQ, same with the compressor. I can probably get away with one but it has to have at least 10 bands. I have pro tools stock 7 bands, not enough, so I use 2, and never boost. And yeah, it takes 2 compressor for me to clamp it down the way I like it. And sure, our beloved saturation/distortion. So typically: 2 EQs/2comp/distortion/occasionally de-esser. That's what you'll see on my tracks. 2 delay (stereo) 1 reverb (stereo), I am not good with FX right now so they are there but I am not sure I did it right Smile. I just kinda wing it. Really? you like my mix? I thought I have to come back here to bring my mix back on a stretcher after a bloody beating Smile. Thanks man. That makes me happy.