Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glen McPhee: A Sailor Once More
Hi everyone, here is my first attempt at mixing this great song.
I tried to be subtle, to use panning and a few EQ to give each element as much space as possible. I didn't focus on the drum kit so much, I thought it sounded good as is, just a bit of parallel compression. I used an HF exciter on the guitar to highlight the strumming. An opto compressor and a room reverb on the lead vocal. Finally I thought that some of the backing vocals were out of tune, so I slightly ... autotuned them  Confused but I'm happy with the result  Big Grin 
Thanks in advance for your feedback !

.mp3    A Sailor Once More - Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

Your mix is really nice. Tearing it apart (hope you don't mind) I only notice a couple things : I think there's a slight low-mid in your vocal and some of the esses are still noticeable. The snare is a bit sharp and the percs are not loud enough. Yeah, the percs is a beast to tame. If you have any plugin that can generate lower harmonics, R-bass (Waves) for example, and set to the the key of the song or to the Median or Dominant (scale degree), whatever fits your ears, you'd be able to bring it up. You can listen to mine and check it out. Other than that, your first attempt is great! Cheers!
I don't mind, that's why I'm here ! Thanks for the feedback and the tips!
My percs are definitely not loud enough compared to yours, I never tried to generate lower harmonics, it could be interesting indeed.
I'll try to work on the low-mid again.
In my opinion I could use more compression on the tracks. I feel like I could have more punch.

The vocal was recorded in a terrible place of acoustics and there are several resonances, try to control them in some way. I know, it's challenging.
I worked on a new version.
I tried to correct the resonances in the lead vocal, I compressed the drums a bit more, I compressed just a few dB on the piano and guitars to control them a bit more, and I pushed the bass up. Overall I find that this version has more body and punch. What do you think?

.mp3    A Sailor Once More - Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

(18-02-2021, 02:29 PM)raphcath Wrote: I worked on a new version.
I tried to correct the resonances in the lead vocal, I compressed the drums a bit more, I compressed just a few dB on the piano and guitars to control them a bit more, and I pushed the bass up. Overall I find that this version has more body and punch. What do you think?
His mix gained a lot more energy and excitement in my opinion, great work.

One suggestion, try closing the pan of the drums. The loop comes in stereo but the hit-hat sounds very open with the 100% stereo pan. And the kick drum by nature works well in the center.
Great suggestion, I have a lot of low energy in the side indeed, thanks !
I'd like to bring my mix a little further with some automation maybe, I find the voice being a bit loud during the outro and not enough during the chorus.