Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Glen McPhee 'A Sailor Once More
Late to the party as usual lol, some really good mixes on this thread hope mine is as good,kind of a quick mix not sure if i have too much low end,comments welcome.

.mp3    Glen McPhee A Sailor Once More Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.19 MB)

.mp3    Glen McPhee A Sailor Once More Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.92 MB)

Reaper user
I like your mix. After a couple passes I notice: Low end is good but not tight enough, mostly from the bass on the notes with longer sustain (down beats); it wobbled a bit. Sometimes a bit of LP (very counter-intuitive to me in the beginning) on the bass can actually makes it tighter and thicker. I think bc of the louder level, the bass also adds to the vocal (low mid) making it darker than it really is. I also think the snare is masking the vocal on the hi-mid. That can only make the vocal even darker. I think you can afford to bring it down a bit. Plenty of hi-mid on the snare, imo. I love the drums and its entrance, especially the kick, very skillful. The rest of the instruments seem to be good in their places, except the percs where I think you can make the conga a bit clearer and more defined and add a bit of level to the strumming guitar. I think yours is so very close to the finish line and just as good as any in here, imo. Cheers!
Hi SonicTramp thanks for your in depth review,and i have made some adjustments based on it,i did feel low end was a little too much, anyway mix2 is done,thanks once again.
Reaper user
Excellent new mix. I love it. The strumming guitar is strong and level is just right to my ears. I don't know what happens @ 0:45-0:47 but the bass seems to duck down a bit noticeably. If you side-chained using the kick, then it might have been a bit much. Gentle does it Smile. Maybe a bit more attention to the depth of the mix? Except for the strumming guitar and the vocal, I think you can push the rest back a bit. There are a couple of stereo tracks that you can work on the side to soften instruments in the busier parts. For example, the piano, if you decide to pan it a bit to L then you can strap a compressor (multi mono, 2 channels) and compress the R a bit more than the L. You'll hear the mix much clearer.

Your mix tells me how skillful you are and you def can help around here. Yeah, just "waste" a bit of time going around and help people out if you can. Who knows, maybe you even learn a few things by just listening to others' mixes. Knowledge belongs to the people. I siphoned all my skills on the internet, so I am planning on giving it all back if I can Smile. Just a thought I want to share with you. Cheers!
I thank you very much for your comments and i will take it on board.

RIP Rupert Neve.
Reaper user