Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SuchFinePeople Mix Update
Hey man! Original engineer here Smile

Very cool mix, a bit dry for my taste on the vocals but everything is nice and punchy and round (and not abrasive).

Regarding your comments on the production: the studio budget was exactly $0. This was recorded DIY by myself and I don't own any hardware, so couldn't process anything on the way in. Drums were recorded using a Behringer x32 live mixer because that's what my band happens to own. The mono overhead ... unfortunately wasn't a stylistic choice but a routing mistake by me using a brand new digital mixer and not understanding it.

So you turned my amateur DIY recording into a very nice and listenable mix! Good job!

Edit regarding the mono compatibility of the guitars: yeah some people don't like LCR hardpanning in combination with closely-doubled (both wrt. playing and tone) guitars. It's pretty much standard in metal but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. One great trick I recently learned is that by inserting a time delay plugin on the stereo bus of hard panned instruments and delaying the MID channel a tiny bit, you can give them more of a connected feeling / glue without creating actual phase issue when folding back into mono. This video by Dan Warral goes into9 detail on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9WQDoj...DanWorrall
The free Voxengo Sound Delay works great for that. I've been experimenting with that a bit recently and I really like what it does, even for metal and hard-panned, close-doubled guitars!
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic

Messages In This Thread
SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by latanielvss. - 12-02-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by SonicTramp - 19-02-2021, 07:30 AM
RE: SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by latanielvss. - 23-02-2021, 04:26 PM
RE: SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by SonicTramp - 23-02-2021, 08:39 PM
RE: SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by latanielvss. - 14-03-2021, 08:50 PM
RE: SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by BKM - 18-08-2021, 10:17 AM
RE: SuchFinePeople Mix Update - by latanielvss. - 15-09-2021, 08:09 AM