Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SuchFinePeople Mix Update
Did a new mix keeping the suggestions from my previous mix in mind. Which can be found here: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=36405
That being said the guitars were recorded super wide and thus mono compatibility is pretty bad on those , really nothing i can do about it unless i go 50-50 on the panning but its not something i do very often because i don't like narrow guitars especially on this genre.

I also really wish they recorded the vocals with more compression going in but then again i dont really know the studio situation where it was recorded because it sounds to me like its just running directly into the interface (i could be wrong). I really like the drum recording on this even though again maybe the snare top mic could have gotten a bit more compression on the way in. Overall all the engineering was well done expect for those couple things. The mono overhead mic was very interesting because of the fact that it added so much to the kick and snare which is very good. On the mix i tried keeping the sound true to the recording so not huge tonal differences there.

I welcome your opinions on what can be done better.

Old and new mix posted below note there is a big volume difference which might make hearing a bit tougher but it should be pretty obvious the new mix is easier on the ears imo.

.mp3    SuchFinePeopleMix -OLD.mp3 --  (Download: 8.36 MB)

.mp3    SuchFinePeopleMix2 - NEW.mp3 --  (Download: 8.23 MB)

I like your mix, man. After a couple passes I notice: kick can be louder (maybe bc of the louder snare too). The guitar's low mid (or the bass's, very hard for me to listen when they are so close like that) makes the mix less punchy. Vocal is nice but a bit thin. * I also discovered the phase in the guitars (and the basses, amped and DI). I kinda fixed it, or at least got it a bit better. And you know what, it does make it much easier to control the mix and you will be able to pan them quite wide. Yep, we need to get them guitars super wide, maybe even outside of the speakers Smile. They just sound so good, right? Cheers!
"The guitar's low mid (or the bass's, very hard for me to listen when they are so close like that) makes the mix less punchy" I dont understand what you mean by "close like that" is it because its too cohesive? i usually try getting the bass and guitars sounding as one but still being able to tell they are two instruments. Yes i agree about the kick i think if i lower the bass a bit the kick would pop more. thanks for the feedback! Cheers
(23-02-2021, 04:26 PM)latanielvss. Wrote: "The guitar's low mid (or the bass's, very hard for me to listen when they are so close like that) makes the mix less punchy" I dont understand what you mean by "close like that" is it because its too cohesive? i usually try getting the bass and guitars sounding as one but still being able to tell they are two instruments.  Yes i agree about the kick i think if i lower the bass a bit the kick would pop more. thanks for the feedback! Cheers
*That's probably what I meant, they are so close (cohesive) that I had a hard time telling. But if you agreed that pulling the bass down a bit should let the kick poke out more then the mix should be punchier. Btw, that's exactly how I work the bass and guitar. LP the bass and HP the guitar until they become one. And yeah, my ears are not in the best shape, man. I don't hear things all the time. I do try tho.
Yeah i understand what you mean , i wouldnt go low passing the bass , its generally a bad idea in this genre because the bass would lose its articulation. If you listen closely in the center image youll hear the high end of the bass pretty clearly.  but a listener would take notice of the bass guitar because the vocals and main guitars grabs attention. Thanks for the feedback , appreciate it :)
Hey man! Original engineer here Smile

Very cool mix, a bit dry for my taste on the vocals but everything is nice and punchy and round (and not abrasive).

Regarding your comments on the production: the studio budget was exactly $0. This was recorded DIY by myself and I don't own any hardware, so couldn't process anything on the way in. Drums were recorded using a Behringer x32 live mixer because that's what my band happens to own. The mono overhead ... unfortunately wasn't a stylistic choice but a routing mistake by me using a brand new digital mixer and not understanding it.

So you turned my amateur DIY recording into a very nice and listenable mix! Good job!

Edit regarding the mono compatibility of the guitars: yeah some people don't like LCR hardpanning in combination with closely-doubled (both wrt. playing and tone) guitars. It's pretty much standard in metal but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. One great trick I recently learned is that by inserting a time delay plugin on the stereo bus of hard panned instruments and delaying the MID channel a tiny bit, you can give them more of a connected feeling / glue without creating actual phase issue when folding back into mono. This video by Dan Warral goes into9 detail on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9WQDoj...DanWorrall
The free Voxengo Sound Delay works great for that. I've been experimenting with that a bit recently and I really like what it does, even for metal and hard-panned, close-doubled guitars!
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic
Hi BKM

Thank you , Iam glad you enjoyed it and as for that "happy mistake" it turned out very good , I couldn't even tell that it was unintentional.

Ill look into the Voxengo plugin

Cheers