Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright
Hello,

This is one of my first mixes and posts to this awesome forum. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Antonio S.

.mp3    I\'m Alright - Final.mp3 --  (Download: 5.38 MB)

I hear a lot of mid-higs in your mix and i wonder about your mixing environment.
However your mix has personality and i like the telephone effect.
Hello and welcome.

Well it is a loud mix.
Lead voc is really bright and there is some sibilans problems. Maybe just the key freq adjustment of your s-limiter.
Low end is nice but the bass could give a little more room for the kick drum. The kick drum has a good attack or snap.
Ohs and perc other than bongos could be a little more behind and bring those instrument (other than guitar) more up. This could also give the lead voc more space and it wouldn't have to be so bright to stay at the n:o 1 place of your mix.
There is a room in your mix in low mids 200-1k hz that those instruments and the lead voc could use.

Don't know your setup but I guess you have a multiband comp on your master?
Relax that a bit as a first thing. Might bring your mix better balanced and solve that high freq build up and give more room for the drums.
And I don't think this song benefit from that loud and in your face sound but wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Thank you both so much for your replys, specially Moonwrist for being so detailed. I really appreciate your time.

I did another version of the song and I believe it is way better, thanks to your help.

I'd like to know what you think this time.

Antonio S.

.mp3    I\'m Alright - Ver 3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.4 MB)

Hello

About low end. Now the kick has more room but maybe a hint too much Wink
If you have time you could bring the bass up just a bit and take it down with sidechain comp or ducker drive by the kick.
How did you alter your mix? The low end of bass seems a little uneven. Like below 100 hz. Was your master multiband comp taking care of that in your first mix? If so you could work a little more with just the bass channel to get more solib and balanced low end.
Compare your mixes and put an eq in the master with LPF at 100 hz.

That second or first acgtr (track 9) could be a little louder and better balanced with the elgtr. It sounds good in the intro.
The piano could have a little more edge to stand out in the mix. And yes I know there are many elements trying to get to that n:o 1 place. Maybe a little more panning and then just automation to bring solos closer to the center if needed.
Now only the percussion is panned clearly away of center.

Have you reduced the lead voc reverb or just a new eq settings? It sounds a little dry and edgy like I could mix a lead voc before adding a reverb.
This isn't an easy song to get a balanced 3 dimension mix. If I remember correct I had troubles to fit different parts together and have some natural depth in the mix.
If you ad more reverb to the lead voc you might need to check the other instruments as well in order to keep the lead voc up front. Although that elgtr has quite a lot of effect printed to the track so that could be your second mark point after the lead voc.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.