Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Sailor once more-Glen McPhee
(16-02-2021, 11:13 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Bob! New comment! Wink

I like the 2nd version that you got at top. Everything is clean and stale, all instruments are detailed and in context, nothing is to upfront so thats a good thing, very common mistake for beginner mixers in my opinion is to put something way to upfront or in the back. The guitars are very sustainy without to much audible distortion, thats cool. Maybe the master is a bit scooped in 1k are and then rearranged afterwards with some vocal eq boost there?? I think its a good effort so don't want to be to "hars" on this one because its actually quite impressive, even though the entire master is kinda small sort of, think its the tucked in lowend that makes it a bit clamped but that a very nice modern sound. I love the piano you had in the left there, sounds super modern and cool, also nice "thumps" in the bass that pops up here and there (mostly around 2:20 i think), was that automation? Maybe vox could come up a very tiny bit, it gets louder at the end so i guess that it is getting clamped by mastercompressor. Ye nothing to add more then that i think gj Big Grin.
Thanks for taking the time to listen to my mix
So.... the Bass is just automation to bring out some little fills besides those quarter notes. I did bring the vocals up a little at the end ( thinking about it now, it would have been better to bring up the whole song by a little towards the end (???)

Now... what you refer as  Master .. is to me at the moment  too "sweeten" it up after the mix and more to experiment if I should use ..sugar or honey  and sometimes that extra spoon might be too sweet!

Thanks again for your comment & hope you doing well
Cheers Bob
Hey bob, listening to your comment you made before the mix i listened to before. The "second attempt" miix was really good i think. I was listening to "Sailor-mix.mp3", that one was veery distorted in the vocals.
Nice balance, it sounds coherent.
I was wondering what it is that you wanted to have in the foreground - the strongest presence (frequency wise) is actually the shaker! I think it is a pity that the background vox are so far back, with a lot of reverb (a bit like dream voices from the past). They have the potential to support the lead vox more, no?
You've got heavy hitting drums, that creates nice oomph. It's more like a folk-rock vibe. I was playing with that in my mix and ended up going more pure folk - focus on vox and guitar, drums lighter and in the back.