Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Crownoise - A sailor once more
(10-02-2021, 03:41 PM)mikej Wrote: Well, I thought I'd take a slightly deeper look at the overall frequencly balance out of curiousity there, as you mentioned the 'mastering' for my mix.  I am far from expert though!  Interesting regarding the difference in sound cards.

Overall mix balance/frequency curve wise, the low end is sitting about right for me I feel.  I can hear it there underpinning the mix.  Maybe just the odd note pokes out a bit more than others a little perhaps, but it's not at all that bothersome and you have to really listen for it.

You might be able to boost some of the upper frequencies of the bass guitar a bit to get it the bass guitar to cut through a little more, but it's tricky.  I found it quite difficult to get the bass to cut at all, as there is a lot of things fighting for that low mid sort of area - vocal, guitars, whistle, etc.  I tried to give the bass a little bit more poke in my 1.0 revision as I felt it was getting a little lost in my first attempt.  I recall the bass in letifer85's mix cut through quite well, so might be worth checking that mix for the bass.

I used a combination of de-esser and volume automation on the vocal esses.  You can just zoom in and knock them down a bit.  I usually kind of forget to de-ess as it doesn't usually bother me that much, unless it's really quite prominent.

I remember that I used a ping pong delay on the vocals of the Dorothea Wessel track, which is really challenging for the esses.  RoyM pointed out that it was making all the esses bounce round everywhere, and perhaps wasn't the best choice of processing to use, so I have done exactly the same thing.  EDIT: It was actually the Silona track.

I do have the old faderport for automation, but I seem to rarely use it and just draw it in mostly.  It is quite good fun doing passes and levelling things out with it though on the odd occasion.  I would really like to try what I think is SSL style automation where the automation moves add or remove from the existing automation moves rather than completely replace, so you can do multiple passes to really hone in and build what you want, but my DAW doesn't offer that.

Cheers!
Yes, i noticed this aswell. The first reaction is to go for some boost in the highs to make the bass cut, but as you mention it sort of doesn't happen that much to many basses since they have weak upper range, it just gets nasty and ringy at certain and very few notes, and it gets obnoxious so yea, i have a really hard time figuring that out. Haven't really found a solution. I remember one time i had a bass without any highend, what i did was i played with some ringmodulator from meldaproductions, it actually worked that time but haven't made it work later, it gets phasey and chorusy which sounds a bit cheap. I'd like to try faderports of some sort. What if you had a plugin that just made everything sound good no matter what, i must invent that plugin lol.
Thanks Mike nice chat, catch you late! Smile Smile

Messages In This Thread
Crownoise - A sailor once more - by crownoise - 07-02-2021, 11:07 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by mikej - 08-02-2021, 10:14 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by crownoise - 10-02-2021, 12:10 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by 401kBC - 10-02-2021, 01:58 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by crownoise - 23-02-2021, 07:58 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by mikej - 10-02-2021, 03:41 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by crownoise - 23-02-2021, 08:03 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by takka360 - 10-02-2021, 10:12 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by crownoise - 23-02-2021, 08:04 PM
RE: Crownoise - A sailor once more - by mikej - 10-02-2021, 11:25 PM