Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A sailor once more-
Well, digging a bit deeper to see if the mix can be better. I tried to get the instruments intelligibly up to help the ears identify and understand the instruments easier. I brought the piano up, tightened up the vocal and tried to bring the nuances beneath the voice to an audible level (my last mix the vocal was hard to understand), shaved of a bit of that abrasive hi-mid in the snare in the busier part, and worked on the electric guitar. I guess with that much tinkering the mix may not survive the listening tests from you guys. Well, you can always leave your condolences Smile. Thanks for the listen. Cheers!

.mp3    asailoroncemore-sonictramp_1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

I like your mix ,It sounds Well balanced ,The Shaker sounds a touch upfront of the mix.
On my monitors wanting to hear some more bottom end of the kick and bass and less mid bass frequencies somewhere around 110-200hz.
Cheers  Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

So you mean I have to dig in the scary kit again and try to beg the kick to speak with the bass? Sure, man. I have nothing to do anyway. Yeah, man, it takes quite a few round to wear it down. Thanks for the listen and the info on your monitors. I mix on cans and cans can never compete with monitors. You want more bc you like more or you think the mix needs more? If it's the latter, how much more you think is enough? A couple dBs? I am just trying to learn my cans. Your info will help a lot. Thanks.
I think everything sounds very good and in the right direction. Seems like the lead whistle needs to be automated slightly louder when it takes the lead after the choruses. I sent the whistle to a separate track, then boosted the best quality of the mid range and faded that in when the time came. It made it pop to the front. Also a reverb on the lead vocal is very important. When the chorus comes in, the vocals feel a little too dark and dry, but maybe a bright short reverb tail could fill that empty space I hear. Besides that, I really like the music so its very hard to hear something out of place. It does seem that there's a focus around the low mids, if you boosted the low - low mids slightly while mixing, it would probably compensate very nicely for what your hear. anyways, great mix! Smile
(07-02-2021, 02:48 AM)401kBC Wrote: I think everything sounds very good and in the right direction. Seems like the lead whistle needs to be automated slightly louder when it takes the lead after the choruses. I sent the whistle to a separate track, then boosted the best quality of the mid range and faded that in when the time came. It made it pop to the front. Also a reverb on the lead vocal is very important. When the chorus comes in, the vocals feel a little too dark and dry, but maybe a bright short reverb tail could fill that empty space I hear. Besides that, I really like the music so its very hard to hear something out of place. It does seem that there's a focus around the low mids, if you boosted the low - low mids slightly while mixing, it would probably compensate very nicely for what your hear. anyways, great mix! Smile
* I am still waiting for my speakers to come to check the bottom out. I'll know by then. Very good ears, man. I watch CLA and how he uses delay and reverb, quite interesting. It's the first try on the mix. Of course, in the beginning my moves are always crude and unrefined, but with enough tinkering I always get a bit better as time goes by. Yeah, the reverb is a bit dark bc I put a de-esser on it to take out some of the hi. I'll get it better next time around. Thanks for the listen and comment. There is always something in the mix we need to work on. I am ok with that Smile. Thanks for pointing it out. I am still learning.
Hey, nice mix.
The first issue that comes to mind, is i feel like the dums are "to punchy", by it self its great, I just feel that its more of almost a dance sound that doesnt fit the song style to well.
Mabe acoustics can be "clearer" a toush.
Overall a nice listen.
Cheers!
Hey SonicTramp! I like this mix alot, it has a delicacy to it that this song calls for. I like the dynamics in the upper midrange also, it is far from clipping which brings the dept in to play in a nice manner. I am glad also that mastering levels are at bay which i also has start doing (no crazy clipping and limiting to get volume up), i got new headphones so judge what i am saying with a grain of salt. What i think could elevate this mix to new levels would to get more rms to peak raitio in the sideinstruments like guitars, less dynamics and more sustain. I will have a go at this one and see how i'll do, i left this one till last of the issued mixes to date because i listened to the preview mix and was quite amazed haha Big Grin.... As mentioned i think your drums sound really good. I think maybe equing a tiny lowmids back or midrange to the strumming guitar and electric could bring it more in context with the warm middle information cuz i subjectively feel them to bit a tiny "poky" but has a good tone to them. Yea i wish i could get more technical haha but its a good mix so i can't really find much more than that.
Good work..Could maybe do with a tad of low mids investigated. Nice work mate
Had a little look, you have a bad tom res in the mix that needs looking at ,I cant get that on the 2 bus

.mp3    eq.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

Thank you all for leaving comments. I will come back to the mix and hunt for the low mid, now that you guys pointed out for me, and put it in its place. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comments. I feel safe displaying my mix here to fish for comments to improve my skill. So far I feel that the comments are super helpful, honest, encouraging, and, especially joyful, no ego detected. That's awesome! You guys are the best. Thanks.

I yanked the mix out and work on those pointed out by commenters. The biggest issues I think I was able to fix were: I'd wanted to get the percs a lot clearer but the limit of know-how prevented me from getting it. Now it sounds like a boss (I have to brag; it took me a long time to get them that way Smile) The e-guitar and the piano were not good enough, I left it like that bc I couldn't get it any better, blame it on the limitation of skills too. I did put a chorus on the e-guitar, just for fun. The build up on the low mid was my bad; I was aiming a little low. Lifted it to an octave higher and that low mid seems to disappear. Back off the paralleled drum to get it a bit softer; it was a bit too aggressive, someone pointed out and I agreed. The mix seems to be where I'd like it to be. I am able to hear all the instruments and I like where they sit in the mix. But in no way it is safe from criticisms Smile. I still have much to learn. I am not in a hurry. My main concern now seems to point toward the FX used (2 stereo delay/ 1 reverb). This, perhaps, is my weakest link, relatively. Help if you can. Thanks for the listen.

.mp3    asailoroncemore-sonictramp_3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)