Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More v2'
(07-02-2021, 12:12 PM)letifer85 Wrote: Good mix, I enjoyed it.
I like the balance.
During the instumental I like the Flute and pipes.
The Acoustic guitars sound a bit "boxy" perhaps.
Vocals feel a tiny bit thin.
Over all nice listen.
Cheers!
Thank you for the listen! Smile

I purposely made the acoustics sit like that in the music, it gave it more of the dark vibe it needed. If you listen as the Instrumental parts get closer, I fade the high end back up and the energy comes back to life. Makes the songs mood build up how it needed too.
I also slightly compressed just a bit off of the lows to the vocals so when its played on anything bigger than a 10" speaker, the vocals don't attack you before the music.

I guess it mostly comes down to personal taste. May I ask what your listening on?
(07-02-2021, 12:35 PM)401kBC Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 12:12 PM)letifer85 Wrote: Good mix, I enjoyed it.
I like the balance.
During the instumental I like the Flute and pipes.
The Acoustic guitars sound a bit "boxy" perhaps.
Vocals feel a tiny bit thin.
Over all nice listen.
Cheers!
Thank you for the listen! Smile

I purposely made the acoustics sit like that in the music, it gave it more of the dark vibe it needed. If you listen as the Instrumental parts get closer, I fade the high end back up and the energy comes back to life. Makes the songs mood build up how it needed too.
I also slightly compressed just a bit off of the lows to the vocals so when its played on anything bigger than a 10" speaker, the vocals don't attack you before the music.

I guess it mostly comes down to personal taste. May I ask what your listening on?
Ofc, interface is Antelope Audio Goliath, and for the current listen it was through Sennheiser HD 800-S headphones.
For the record, I wasnt impling that the things I mentioned must be fixed. Its all just a subjective opinion, I sayd what I think and nothing more. That might be true or it might not be, and it doesnt matter. As long as there are ppl that enjoy listening it can't be bad/wrong right? Smile Cheers!
Sounds good, I´d like it.
Hi!

Yeah, sounding good there.

Really nice eq on the whistle. Quite bold with the amount of space you gave it to breath - so we can really hear the detail.

I perhaps might prefer something a little more 'roomy' sounding on the backing vocals perhaps though, something a bit more similar to the band? I'm guessing you were going for contrast there though?

Great stuff.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(08-02-2021, 10:40 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Yeah, sounding good there. 

Really nice eq on the whistle.  Quite bold with the amount of space you gave it to breath - so we can really hear the detail. 

I perhaps might prefer something a little more 'roomy' sounding on the backing vocals perhaps though, something a bit more similar to the band? I'm guessing you were going for contrast there though?

Great stuff.

Cheers!
Thank you! I really wanted that whistle to sing because from the get go of the song, its the mood. I sent it to another track, created a peak in the mids with one of my nicer EQ's (Acoustica Audio) and faded it in and out as I heard it needed it. Also that's a great ear for the backing vocals. It didn't occur to me that the were slightly out of place in terms of reverb, because I put too much focus on the balancing of everything else during those parts! I hear what you mean, its almost as if they are still attached to the back of the lead vocals, if that makes sense. anyways, thank you for the comment! Smile 

I actually mixed georgia wonder - siren yesterday and its a pretty clean, modern mix Smile
An update, Version 3.1 has been on Spotify for about a year now!

The artist really liked that version so they asked me if they could use it. Smile

Its fun to go back and listen to old mixes and hear how much your style has changed or improved. I still remember mixing this with headphones and the same Focusrite 2i2 interface I still use today. This little box has lasted me forever. Hopefully one day I'll get something better and maybe mix a little better as well. I'd love to be fulltime working with music in any way.

Well Cheers!
Hi!

Nice one!

I find it quite a mixed bag listening to old mixes. I find I am either pleasantly surprised, or completely horrified!!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(04-02-2021, 07:15 AM)401kBC Wrote: UPDATE 3 - Final version. 
I fixed all the transients of the tracks so they worked together better. 
I fixed the frequency holes in the Vocal track so it's correct on every other speaker I've heard it so far on.
I added sidechain compression to the piano, bass, and acoustic tracks from the drum track(Filtered at 20-95hz)
I added a delay to the main whistle
I added a delay to the electric guitar and panned it left
I automated a little more

I do understand that the acoustic guitars don't hit as much as in the intro of v2, but they were just to heavy coming from a 10" speaker. I think they feel better and its hard to get them good on everything
Cool sound. You've got a high character mix for sure!

My thoughts:
- Great work on bringing all instruments out clearly
- You managed to turn the drums and bass into a veritable rock sound
- Very intelligible voice, you can hear the diction very clearly
- Coot that you checked in on different speakers

My question on this style:
- The voice sounds a bit harsh in the lighter passages, a rock voice without the band
- In the 'everyone plays' section it feels a bit like a pile-up. You’ve got a stadium-filling sound put into a backstage locker room :-)  Maybe you can open it up to the sides a bit?
- The snare sound is nice and rich. Maybe bring it up a bit, to form a punchy rock trio with the kick and bass?

I have taken a different approach and it’s surprising how well this song lends itself to be interpreted during mixing! Mine is traditional folk-style, with a focus on the lead vocal and guitar. Then the back vocals as a ‘choir of the village’ vibe. Guitar strums and wind instruments are evocative of nature (sea, wind, waves) and sit slightly in the back. Drums and bass are light, supportive in the background since they are not traditional folk instruments. 
Check out my mix, I am posting it today (billabong68). Would love to hear your comments.