Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More'
Well what can I say... I really love mixing Music!!!
This is a great catchy song. I only spent a few hours on it, so let me know what you guys think Smile

.mp3    A Sailor Once More.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)

Well done! Great balance on the bg vox. Nice and warm mix. Cheers.
Very good mix, man. Yeah, the constantly strumming guitar is quite hard to handle, like shooting at moving target, to me. Not only that, it reeks with low mid and that's what I am hearing from your mix. In the beginning, the guitar sounds really good, but when the next one comes in, the sexy bouncing disappears. I suspect the release is too long taking that sustain bounce away from the strumming. I think you should try to get the "percs" up a little. It's a part of the groove; not loud enough takes away some of the motions from it. The part where there is a low-whistle and the bagpipe play together I think you should let the whistle take the lead instead of sharing. My reason is: the bagpipe is high enough in frequency spectrum easy for the ears to find, and, more importantly, there is enough high from others already. The whistle fills the gap with its rich midrange balancing the frequency spectrum. But that's just my opinion. And only spent a few hours on it I think you can definitely improve the mix on the next visit. Well done. Cheers!
(03-02-2021, 03:11 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Very good mix, man. Yeah, the constantly strumming guitar is quite hard to handle, like shooting at moving target, to me. Not only that, it reeks with low mid and that's what I am hearing from your mix. In the beginning, the guitar sounds really good, but when the next one comes in, the sexy bouncing disappears. I suspect the release is too long taking that sustain bounce away from the strumming. I think you should try to get the "percs" up a little. It's a part of the groove; not loud enough takes away some of the motions from it. The part where there is a low-whistle and the bagpipe play together I think you should let the whistle take the lead instead of sharing. My reason is: the bagpipe is high enough in frequency spectrum easy for the ears to find, and, more importantly, there is enough high from others already. The whistle fills the gap with its rich midrange balancing the frequency spectrum. But that's just my opinion. And only spent a few hours on it I think you can definitely improve the mix on the next visit. Well done. Cheers!
I love all the opinions you have! I actually just quickly turned a high shelf EQ slighty down on the master to fix the brightness issue, very lazy on my part, my initial mix felt too bright for sure. Thats what makes the whole mix center around the low mids. It's kinda pleasant to an extent tho, so I will play around more with that in the future. Maybe in parallel. I played alot with reverbs on this one to give depth to the different tracks and it actually works very well once your EQ is set correctly. I agree the bag pipes do cover way to much of the spectrum. They should just be able to listen for them. I will definitely spice up the percs too. Thats the whole groove of the track! haha I have some time later so I'm gonna fix up all the stuff. thank you for your opinions, and happy mixing!
(03-02-2021, 06:25 AM)401kBC Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 03:11 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Very good mix, man. Yeah, the constantly strumming guitar is quite hard to handle, like shooting at moving target, to me. Not only that, it reeks with low mid and that's what I am hearing from your mix. In the beginning, the guitar sounds really good, but when the next one comes in, the sexy bouncing disappears. I suspect the release is too long taking that sustain bounce away from the strumming. I think you should try to get the "percs" up a little. It's a part of the groove; not loud enough takes away some of the motions from it. The part where there is a low-whistle and the bagpipe play together I think you should let the whistle take the lead instead of sharing. My reason is: the bagpipe is high enough in frequency spectrum easy for the ears to find, and, more importantly, there is enough high from others already. The whistle fills the gap with its rich midrange balancing the frequency spectrum. But that's just my opinion. And only spent a few hours on it I think you can definitely improve the mix on the next visit. Well done. Cheers!
I love all the opinions you have! I actually just quickly turned a high shelf EQ slighty down on the master to fix the brightness issue, very lazy on my part, my initial mix felt too bright for sure. Thats what makes the whole mix center around the low mids. It's kinda pleasant to an extent tho, so I will play around more with that in the future. Maybe in parallel. I played alot with reverbs on this one to give depth to the different tracks and it actually works very well once your EQ is set correctly. I agree the bag pipes do cover way to much of the spectrum. They should just be able to listen for them. I will definitely spice up the percs too. Thats the whole groove of the track! haha I have some time later so I'm gonna fix up all the stuff. thank you for your opinions, and happy mixing!

*Sure, my friend.  Your enthusiasm is quite contagious (not a good word to use considering the circumstances but it's true...Smile).
Yeah, polish it up to the best of your ability and post it up here fishing for comments. I'd give you mine. I have time. Be patient when mixing. Just listen closely, attentively, and carefully. If you don't know/understand something, ask. People are more willing to teach/show than we think they are. That is the name of the game. And your mix will be awesome. Cheers!
(04-02-2021, 04:24 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: *Sure, my friend.  Your enthusiasm is quite contagious (not a good word to use considering the circumstances but it's true...Smile).
Yeah, polish it up to the best of your ability and post it up here fishing for comments. I'd give you mine. I have time. Be patient when mixing. Just listen closely, attentively, and carefully. If you don't know/understand something, ask. People are more willing to teach/show than we think they are. That is the name of the game. And your mix will be awesome. Cheers!
Hahaha, I do have alot of enthusiasm. There's alot of good people on here, and I do love helpful criticism. It really does make me a better mixer and it opens my ears to what I would simply miss otherwise, that could be right in front of me. Patients is the game! also taking breaks and referencing is very useful. This new mix v2 I did translates on my laptop well, which is usually very hard to get just right in the uppermids.