Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strobe - Gone (CK Luna Mix)
Hi all! I really enjoyed mixing Strobe’s previous song on here (Maya), and while this one wasn’t as atmospheric I still loved all the various textures.
I tried for quite a while to separate the guitar from the synths in the intro and finally took nearly the same approach (independently!) as lukepercy, building up from the guitar and voice. Is this type of re-arrangement (dropping/rearranging track elements) frowned upon here?

Hope you like it! For me it sounded a little too bright on one pair of headphones and a little too dark/mid-heavy on another — perspective from anyone with well-balanced monitors/headphones would be very appreciated!

.mp3    Strobe_Gone_CK_Luna_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.71 MB)

I am listening using a fairly decent headphones (AKG712). What impresses me right away is your vocal- super nice. You did a good job separate the instruments. I wish the chorus drops could be stronger to provide some excitement. I also think you can make your mix wider by balancing what's in the middle with those on the sides. I sometimes get my mix wider by just doing that.
* To my headphones: your mix is a bit (slightly) heavy on the low mid which make your mix a bit darker. I suspect that is bc the songs wants to be darker. The top end is good; I can hear your hats quite clearly and in good level (I thought the original's was a little low). I can hear your instruments clearly, not an easy task to do. I think your snare (2:20-) is a bit bright and loud. The bottom end holds up quite well on my end, which is 1/2 of the battle already, right?
I think you put in great effort and it shows. Keep up the good work and mix on! Cheers!
Thanks so much for the kind words and critique! I’ll take that advice on all counts and see what I can do. Cheers and thanks for listening!
(19-01-2021, 12:33 AM)cjkinlund Wrote: Thanks so much for the kind words and critique! I’ll take that advice on all counts and see what I can do. Cheers and thanks for listening!
* No problem, my man. I have nothing better to do anyway, for the time being. My shop couldn't survive the pandemic, so more time for mixing, right? Smile. You keep mixing and I'll keep listening. I'll help you all that I can bc I know it is a real struggle. I am one of you. Together we'll get better and with a lot of praying maybe one of these days some of us will come to the likes of Bob Clearmountain, CLA, Andy Wallace (my favorite), Michael Brauer, etc and thank them for keeping the throne warm for us Smile. If one has a dream, one might as well dream big. Right?