Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - Strobe 'GoneNew Take"
Hello Everyone, 

This is my take on this amazing song. I really like the vibe of it.

Let me know what you think Smile

UPDATE - I've reworked some things and polished it up today. I think its pretty darn good. Thoughts? Smile
UPDATE 3 - Tried to fix the brightness of it, cause I felt it was just too stale and bright. Really enjoy the song

New Take - So I decided I would remix this song to see how my mixing has changed over the year. I also mixed this much faster and used less than before I know

.mp3    Strobe GoneUpdate2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

.mp3    Strobe Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

.mp3    Strobe GoneUpdate3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

.mp3    GoneNewTake.mp3 --  (Download: 8.21 MB)

Good mix, man. I like the aggressiveness of the drums, but I think it's a bit loud thus making your mix's stereo image narrower (b/c of the louder kick in the middle). You did a good job separate them nicely. I can hear everything. I also like the level of the hats in your mix. I listen to the original one and think it's a little low to my taste. Yours is a bit louder giving your mix a nice top end, but the trade off is your mix is brighter. I like the original mix for its darker feel b/c I think it fits with song better, moody kinda music. I hear some low mid build up coming mostly from all the synths, including the bass-synth and the vocal. I think a bit of balancing and clean up will give your mix a better feel and a better listening experience. Cheers!
(16-01-2021, 09:45 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: Good mix, man...
Thank you for your reply! Smile I agree with everything you say. Mostly cleaning up, taming those drum tracks a little better, and some automation on the tracks for some better feel. The vocals feel nice and upfront but not placed with the music enough. I didnt really use a reference when mixing this, just kinda did it all on the fly for fun. I used my VSX headphones for the entire mix. When I listened back on my cheap Skull Candy earbuds, the feel isn't quite there like it should be. Everyone else's mixes hold very nice and true to how they sound on my earbuds.I can hear what needs to be done and I'll upload a second version later tonight Smile
(18-01-2021, 04:05 PM)401kBC Wrote:
(16-01-2021, 09:45 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: Good mix, man...
Thank you for your reply! Smile I agree with everything you say. Mostly cleaning up, taming those drum tracks a little better, and some automation on the tracks for some better feel. The vocals feel nice and upfront but not placed with the music enough. I didnt really use a reference when mixing this, just kinda did it all on the fly for fun. I used my VSX headphones for the entire mix. When I listened back on my cheap Skull Candy earbuds, the feel isn't quite there like it should be. Everyone else's mixes hold very nice and true to how they sound on my earbuds.I can hear what needs to be done and I'll upload a second version later tonight Smile
* I mix with cans too. And yeah, in the beginning when I listened to my mixes in my Iphone cans they sounded horrible, everything was out of balance and weird. The trick is to know the short-coming of the headphone and compensate. It takes some time and some effort to do that. For example, when I brought the snare to where I could hear it clearly and sat nice in the mix using my AKG, it turned out super loud and cracky in my car and other monitors. I went back and worked only on the snare until it sounded good in my car. I listened back to the mix and try to remember where the snare sat in my cans. The next song I mixed I tried to bring the snare up just like in the other mix and it made some improvement. It took me roughly about 2 years for that. I am not smart, so I try to make up by working harder. And yeah, try to work on your listening skills. My dream is to be able to hear like the pros, to be able to pick out at what frequency and how much. That would be awesome! right? Well, "Dream on" (Aerosmith)
(18-01-2021, 10:05 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: * I mix with cans too. And yeah, in the beginning when I listened to my mixes in my Iphone cans they sounded horrible, everything was out of balance and weird. The trick is to know the short-coming of the headphone and compensate. It takes some time and some effort to do that. For example, when I brought the snare to where I could hear it clearly and sat nice in the mix using my AKG, it turned out super loud and cracky in my car and other monitors. I went back and worked only on the snare until it sounded good in my car. I listened back to the mix and try to remember where the snare sat in my cans. The next song I mixed I tried to bring the snare up just like in the other mix and it made some improvement. It took me roughly about 2 years for that. I am not smart, so I try to make up by working harder. And yeah, try to work on your listening skills. My dream is to be able to hear like the pros, to be able to pick out at what frequency and how much. That would be awesome! right? Well, "Dream on" (Aerosmith)
I used to use monitors at my old place before I lost it. This apartment is way to small and compact for them so I invested in these VSX headphones. I did have a pair of AKG q701 for a very long time that I used only for mixing. My friend also has ATH M50x that he lets me borrow(He is a DJ and doesn't require them much)I could get pretty good results listening back in my friends truck and making the right adjustments. With these headphones its kinda the same but there is ALOT more detail in everything and making slight EQ and compression adjustments is so obvious, I love it. Getting a snare to crack through and EQ'ing it to sit nice is very fun, and very easy. the only draw back to me, is the rooms don't quiet hold up in terms of compression or accuracy in what your feeling and what hearing vs what's actually playing, if that makes since. It's something to get used too. Its still very nice listening in the all the room models but my favorite room for mixing is on the Archon far feilds. Very big but accurate sound. The HQ Linear or Flat setting is the best. It is what I really start mixing everything with. I would love to be able to hear like the pros too, maybe one day we both get there? Ramble on! Cool Smile
(20-01-2021, 07:26 PM)401kBC Wrote:
(18-01-2021, 10:05 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: * I mix with cans too. And yeah, in the beginning when I listened to my mixes in my Iphone cans they sounded horrible, everything was out of balance and weird. The trick is to know the short-coming of the headphone and compensate. It takes some time and some effort to do that. For example, when I brought the snare to where I could hear it clearly and sat nice in the mix using my AKG, it turned out super loud and cracky in my car and other monitors. I went back and worked only on the snare until it sounded good in my car. I listened back to the mix and try to remember where the snare sat in my cans. The next song I mixed I tried to bring the snare up just like in the other mix and it made some improvement. It took me roughly about 2 years for that. I am not smart, so I try to make up by working harder. And yeah, try to work on your listening skills. My dream is to be able to hear like the pros, to be able to pick out at what frequency and how much. That would be awesome! right? Well, "Dream on" (Aerosmith)
I used to use monitors at my old place before I lost it. This apartment is way to small and compact for them so I invested in these VSX headphones. I did have a pair of AKG q701 for a very long time that I used only for mixing. My friend also has ATH M50x that he lets me borrow(He is a DJ and doesn't require them much)I could get pretty good results listening back in my friends truck and making the right adjustments. With these headphones its kinda the same but there is ALOT more detail in everything and making slight EQ and compression adjustments is so obvious, I love it. Getting a snare to crack through and EQ'ing it to sit nice is very fun, and very easy. the only draw back to me, is the rooms don't quiet hold up in terms of compression or accuracy in what your feeling and what hearing vs what's actually playing, if that makes since. It's something to get used too. Its still very nice listening in the all the room models but my favorite room for mixing is on the Archon far feilds. Very big but accurate sound. The HQ Linear or Flat setting is the best. It is what I really start mixing everything with. I would love to be able to hear like the pros too, maybe one day we both get there? Ramble on! Cool Smile
*Amen, to the last sentence! There is no maybe. if they can hear it, we can hear it. They put in many years to get there. So can we. Trust me on that. None of them were born with an EQ on one hand and a compressor on the other. But ALL of us were born with a pair of awesome ears. Practice makes perfect. I am a true believer in that. No one is special bc everyone is special Smile. Cheers!
Hi!

I happened to check this mix out the other day.

The 3D depth and layers you've got on this sounds awesome, especially so on headphones. It's great to listen to. Minor niggle, might just be me, but the chorus vocals sound quieter than the verses? Everything else is spot on for me. Great job there.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(08-02-2021, 10:49 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I happened to check this mix out the other day. 

The 3D depth and layers you've got on this sounds awesome, especially so on headphones.  It's great to listen to.  Minor niggle, might just be me, but the chorus vocals sound quieter than the verses?  Everything else is spot on for me.  Great job there.

Cheers!
Thank you! I agree it is fun to listen to on headphones, and you are definitely right that they are quieter than the verses! My idea was to make the chorus sound bigger by making certain elements sound a little further back and fading them down just slightly, but my idea did not translate well haha

When I hear this now after some time away, I think everything has amazing reverb space and compression, the EQ's are just off. If I could correct everything, and put a slight highshelf, on the drums mostly, and some other things, it would be more how I envisioned. But sadly I removed this project off my computer by accident cleaning up space. Oh well, but as always thanks for the listen and comments I love them Smile