Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - Strobe 'GoneNew Take"
(18-01-2021, 04:05 PM)401kBC Wrote:
(16-01-2021, 09:45 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: Good mix, man...
Thank you for your reply! Smile I agree with everything you say. Mostly cleaning up, taming those drum tracks a little better, and some automation on the tracks for some better feel. The vocals feel nice and upfront but not placed with the music enough. I didnt really use a reference when mixing this, just kinda did it all on the fly for fun. I used my VSX headphones for the entire mix. When I listened back on my cheap Skull Candy earbuds, the feel isn't quite there like it should be. Everyone else's mixes hold very nice and true to how they sound on my earbuds.I can hear what needs to be done and I'll upload a second version later tonight Smile
* I mix with cans too. And yeah, in the beginning when I listened to my mixes in my Iphone cans they sounded horrible, everything was out of balance and weird. The trick is to know the short-coming of the headphone and compensate. It takes some time and some effort to do that. For example, when I brought the snare to where I could hear it clearly and sat nice in the mix using my AKG, it turned out super loud and cracky in my car and other monitors. I went back and worked only on the snare until it sounded good in my car. I listened back to the mix and try to remember where the snare sat in my cans. The next song I mixed I tried to bring the snare up just like in the other mix and it made some improvement. It took me roughly about 2 years for that. I am not smart, so I try to make up by working harder. And yeah, try to work on your listening skills. My dream is to be able to hear like the pros, to be able to pick out at what frequency and how much. That would be awesome! right? Well, "Dream on" (Aerosmith)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brennon Causey Mixing - Strobe 'Gone" - by SonicTramp - 18-01-2021, 10:05 PM