Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan song - voelund
I hope I did the song and recordin justice.
I tried to keep the rawness of the tracks and make the choir and cello section fit, a hard job as the sonics are so diffrent. My solution was to sink both into the music, not makin either the star, but a part of the arrangement. After choir section I took lvl about 1.5 dB down to make a bigger crescendo, I dont think it worked that well though but I tried ...

Made some very narrow surgical cuts to a couple o guitar tracks playin figures up high on the fretboard but havin the loose A string ringin most o the time. It were kinda out o the chords so I notched it out. If it were there on purpose Im sorry Big Grin

The DT vox were panned hard left and echoed on right and distorted, it gave a nice lift to choruses I think. Also the clean gtr tracks which were ran through some of Logics amp sims were given more crunsch in chorus and outro.

Didnt edit a thing on this one, but you cant win em all :-)

.mp3    Japan song 02 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.79 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I think I'm starting to get more 'technical' and I can recognize things better than before Smile I like what you did to the vocal to one side and the delay on the other one.

The only thing is that I would change was the cello a little bit more present in the mix, but that's why I like the sound of it very much and I like to give more importance to it. But this is just a matter of taste...

Good job!!
mixing since April 2013
Great you are gettin more aware of what you hear. You can trust your ears most o the time, instruments can tell you also, but the finest instruments we have is our ears :-)
Now if you use those fine instruments Im sure you will agree that if the cello were turned further up it would sound beautiful, but also steal the picture, and then the choir vocals would need a helpin hand too. So I choose to balance both at such relatively low lvl. For the outro I find the cello functions more like a padsound, and should be lvl´d as such.

This is open for discussion and I dont own the truth Big Grin
These are just my thoughts ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I found your mix balance really well, and is working great.
I like a lot the effect on vocals, when the chorus comes, maybe a bit loud, it could blend more in the mix.
Now in general ,to my ears, the mix sounds a bit dark and thin, bat that is something coming from my taste, and reference tracks.

Nice work dude!
Thank you man. Great. I listen again and outro could do with more power And less leadguitar. Maybe brighter too as you mention. The chorus vocal reflects the mood well I think, but a little down wouldnt hurt. Thank you for the comment !