Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the genre - Let me know what I can improve - Thnx for critiques
Sounds great. I enjoyed the balance of the vocals/acoustics/BVs at the end especially.

As noted, kick could come down a little. Personally, I would like more low end out of the bass, but it works.

Only other thing was, sounds like you left in the DI guitars on the intro, but they don't sound like they've been reamped. I would either cut them out, or put them through an amp sim.

Cheers!
(16-02-2021, 05:48 AM)Andy_ Wrote: Sounds great. I enjoyed the balance of the vocals/acoustics/BVs at the end especially.

As noted, kick could come down a little. Personally, I would like more low end out of the bass, but it works.

Only other thing was, sounds like you left in the DI guitars on the intro, but they don't sound like they've been reamped. I would either cut them out, or put them through an amp sim.

Cheers!
No I definitely didn't reamp them lol. Like I said, I'm new to the genre, so this was actually a really helpful comment, cause I never knew what the DI abbreviation actually meant in sessions I practiced with. I thought it meant "distorted," and was always thinking, well these don't sound very distorted hahaha. I looked it up now, and I understand the concept, but I have one quick question. When you are given DI tracks, is it usually left up to the mix engineer's discretion as to how they sound, or should I ask the client beforehand how they envisioned the DI tracks to sound? @Andy_ @Takka360 @mikej
I didn't realise the guitars needed re-amping - I've not mixed this one Blush
As I only practice with the tracks on here so far, I just try to do the best I can with re-amped guitar tones.  I don't always find it that easy to get and settle on the right tone, but it's a fun challenge all the same. 
I do find it very useful to check out some guitarist and metal forums and you-tube channels for ideas and suggestions too. 
You can use pedal fx > amp sim > cab sim then eq, etc, so there's loads of options and ways to go to get different sounds.  You can also get some ideas searching on you-tube for getting guitar tones for different genres and band sounds.
As far as the tracks on here go I just try to get something similar to the library mix to start with and go from there.
There's lots of good free plugins available too.
Hope that helps a little.
Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
If your not used to working with guitars, I can see how it would be confusing. In this mix there was the distorted guitars, and the DI. couldn't hurt to find out whether the artists wanted anything specific done with the DIs. Seeing as there are already distorted guitars there, however, you may choose not to use the DI's at all. Alternatively, you might want to use the DI exclusively, or use it alongside the distorted guitars to add to them. Really depends whether you are happy with the guitars as they are, or think you can do something creative with them.

(20-02-2021, 03:42 AM)mikej Wrote: I didn't realise the guitars needed re-amping - I've not mixed this one Blush
As I only practice with the tracks on here so far, I just try to do the best I can with re-amped guitar tones.  I don't always find it that easy to get and settle on the right tone, but it's a fun challenge all the same. 
I do find it very useful to check out some guitarist and metal forums and you-tube channels for ideas and suggestions too. 
You can use pedal fx > amp sim > cab sim then eq, etc, so there's loads of options and ways to go to get different sounds.  You can also get some ideas searching on you-tube for getting guitar tones for different genres and band sounds.
As far as the tracks on here go I just try to get something similar to the library mix to start with and go from there.
There's lots of good free plugins available too.
Hope that helps a little.
Cheers!

This is all good advice. In my mix of this track I used a less gainy sound alongside the distorted guitars. I'm not sure it did a lot, except maybe temper the heavily distorted guitars a bit. It can be a challenge getting the DIs sounding good, especially with lower gain sounds. Waves have the PRS amp sims, which I quite like. Or if you have real amps, you can send the signal through them... but its a process.

Cheers,
Andy