Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a backroom in Tulsa, dirty deeds get done.....
(18-01-2014, 05:43 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: Wesley's graphic story telling....too good to push back in the mix?

You continue to surprise me; this is pretty decent, too.

I feel the reverb is a little much for the intimate sound you later said you were going for; it doesn't fit the song IMHO. I also feel the piano is a little thin and too far down in the mix; I feel it's an important part of the feel of the song and needs to be more prominent. Also, the vocals are getting a little buried starting with the "seven years of bad luck" part. All that being said, I have to admit I didn't think your mix was too bright as even you have claimed (and I can't believe I'm saying that considering that was my primary complaint about your work until now); I actually think the frequency balance on this was just fine (I particularly liked the nice thick sound you got out of the bass Wink). And I also appreciate that you didn't make any wholesale changes to the arrangement here, either, so I take it you actually liked this song. Wink

Honestly, when I began this project of reviewing all your work I was fresh off of your godawful mockery of Skelpolu's "Human Mistakes" and your excessively bright mix of Street Noise's "Revelations;" I was not expecting to like the first two mixes I critiqued. I've been pleasantly surprised, actually. I'm still not convinced your advice is valid since it still doesn't take into account the artistic merit of alternate approaches, and your tendency to mock artist's work is definitely not cool, but at least there's some hint here that you might have something of value to contribute.

I'm packing it in for the night; I'll check out more of your work tomorrow.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: In a backroom in Tulsa, dirty deeds get done..... - by Pedaling Prince - 19-04-2014, 04:51 AM