Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a backroom in Tulsa, dirty deeds get done.....
(29-01-2014, 02:49 AM)pauli Wrote:
(29-01-2014, 02:21 AM)Voelund Wrote: White noise to create space ? No kiddin ? Gotta try that one !
Think I will turn my vocal bus up on this one after your Zappa words, great line.

I think Senior used that trick in one of his mix rescues... when I figure out which one I'll PM you a link.

include me too, please Smile I googled but nothing came up.

many thanks Pauli for your time here, i appreciate it immensely. the attack on the guitars was a bit of a creative decision (i wanted to get the aggression out), but you are right to highlight it, i think it needs pulling in a bit. the stereo image needs reworking, and is a major part of my own personal dissatisfaction with the mix, so i can deeply empathise with your listening experience. i used about 5 reverbs in this project overall, if memory serves, including a final over the whole mix in stereo for glue. this latter one should have had the high's rolled off more. actually, that's incorrect, what i should have done was mix less hi's, but pull them up in the master as air from 10k'ish. this mix is pretty bright, especially considering the stage depth of the instruments here. lot's started climbing out of the woodwork during the final process, to an extent that i actually surprised myself, but note i didn't have the levels up, so Fletcher Munson will likely be an issue! i was continually in pursuit of clarity and it didn't take much in my case, for the mix to collapse into a muddy puddle of low-mid mush which had me running for cover! i needed a better compromise which you are right to identify. there is another issue i had, which involves the panning of instruments that contain a lot of low-mid and mid range content. put this pumping stuff too much in one ear and it's a disaster. my battle was less with the mix and more with my own psyche! i'd love to fix it, but to be quite honest, i don't think i could bear it....the mere thought of revisiting all that blood everywhere? yikes!! Smile

Swordfish trombones? revenge is sweet, eh? Smile Smile Smile

just a mention, i had no idea who Wesley was until i'd finished the song and did some research. normally, i'd research first if i didn't know the band intimately, but in all mixes i do within this domain, i try and let instinct prevail....then blush afterwards if i've misjudged.

thanks for sharing.
Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: In a backroom in Tulsa, dirty deeds get done..... - by The_Metallurgist - 29-01-2014, 10:50 AM