Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directions - SpedeMix
Hi! Here's my mix of this nice tune. It's pretty straightforward; not a complete overhaul in sonics (as some of my other mixes have been lately). I spent some 2-3 hours with this one (tweaking the vocals quite a lot to make them sit properly).

.m4a    Directions_SpedeMix.m4a --  (Download: 2.72 MB)

Sounds great here. Your mix suits the song.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
What a nice mix!

I like intimate feeling and the balance feel nice all the time. The bass fit's just perfectly to this song.

Only two moments bothered me a little bit. (And they were a problem to me only because I was listening with headphones.)

The moment when sound opens to stereo at 0:33. The sound before and after sounds perfect to me, but the moment of change distracted my focus from the singing.

The opening of solo guitar at 01.58 feels to me that as if the there reverb send is in mute mode by accident. But when my ears get used to that sound it felt good.

So very good mix to my ears.
Very nice! I like your panning choices on this one.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Another great Spede mix Smile
The intimate space you have created really suits this song.
You achieved a much more present and natural mix than I could manage on this song with my limited experience of 'small dry space' mixing Smile
Did you use an impulse reverb with a really small delay time or something else? It is very effective.

Probably the right hand-panned reply guitar in the section at 2:07 could come up about 1dB or so but that's about it!
(Could also be my dodgy ear playing up) Wink

Nicely done indeed!
Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(19-01-2014, 08:35 AM)bmullen Wrote: Very nice! I like your panning choices on this one.

Thank you. Apart from the perc track (which is 50% right) everything is LCR.

(20-01-2014, 05:21 AM)Dags Wrote: Another great Spede mix Smile
The intimate space you have created really suits this song.
You achieved a much more present and natural mix than I could manage on this song with my limited experience of 'small dry space' mixing Smile
Did you use an impulse reverb with a really small delay time or something else? It is very effective.

Thanks. Yes the vocals are the only thing here that have some verb in them. When reverberating vocals I usually like to start off with this kind of reverb here: a delay'ed extremely short (less than a sec) plate with some early reflections in front of them. The reverb algorithm in an EMT 250 is probably one of the most famous examples of this kind of reverb (probably why it's so popular on vocals) but you could create a similar kind verb with any algo verb.
Great Mix Man That's all I got to say..
Love your panning on the acoustics!

-Ricks