Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roots of Mankind
Where do they keep finding these great songs? When I started mixing this one I hated it, but now I love it. I have spent so much time listening to this when I wasn't actually doing mixing, just listening for the enjoyment of it - what a great song.
Anyway, here's my take on the mix. I tried to give it a bit of room to breathe rather than the 'smash you over the head with how loud I can make it' approach! (I'd put an emoji here, but I'm an old bloke, so I don't know what they all mean, and might end up posting an inappropriate one!)
As usual, comments and criticisms gratefully received,

.mp3    Roots of Mankind.mp3 --  (Download: 13.14 MB)

Disappointingly that one failed the Car test. I was most disappointed - I thought it sounded promising. Anyway, I went away and did a bit of tweaking. This one, I am pleased to say, passed the car test, although there's a couple of places where I think the guitar may be a touch too loud. It also passed the AirPods(..shudder..) test, and it passed the patented '17 Vodkas' test with flying colours, although,  curiously, everything seems to pass the patented '17 Vodkas' test with flying colours....
I tried letting the robot at Bandlab master the finished mix, but I kind of prefer my master.....as far as you can call a complete amateur effort a 'master'!

.mp3    Roots of Mankind V3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.14 MB)

Changed my DAW - I have ditched Cakewalk/Sonar and now use Mixbus, so I thought I'd have another go at this one. Not sure why I thought the previous effort sounded OK - on second listening it's pretty horrible. Sounds to me like it's being played from a cheap boombox hidden under a couple of blankets in the neighbour's house.
Hopefully this one is a bit better. I haven't given it the full range of tests yet - so far it's only had the 'mix in my room on headphones' test, and I'm about 8 vodkas into the 17 Vodkas Test. So far at least it sounds a bit brighter than the previous effort.

.mp3    Roots of Mankind_r1_session_mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 14.22 MB)

Ergh..... too crispy! Looks like it's time to go back to the drawing board......