Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queens Light - my mix
Sans-Amp is a amp plugin that comes with stock Pro Tools. I used it for some simple overdrive. Smile
I see. i use Logic, so I wouldnt know :-) Guess I will try some of the saturation plugins I have hande and an eq approach inspired from you description. Thank you
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
This is a very good mix. i checked it on the mains, HD600 and SHR940 detail monsters. It sound great on all. I check the spectrum and saw that this mix has a very smooth 4.5 tilt. There was a little bump at 300Hz. I opened up an EQ (DMG Equality in analog or regular mode) and cut 1.99db with a .81Q and the mix opened up a little more. I always look at the spectrum because it can point you to something that is not jumping out at you. Give it a try on your master and let me know if you can hear it. Also, the synth leads were just a touch harsh. I could not get at it using global eq. Your monitoring system is giving you very good time and frequency information. If you don't mine, what are you monitoring on?
(21-01-2014, 01:46 AM)ALX Wrote: This is a very good mix. i checked it on the mains, HD600 and SHR940 detail monsters. It sound great on all. I check the spectrum and saw that this mix has a very smooth 4.5 tilt. There was a little bump at 300Hz. I opened up an EQ (DMG Equality in analog or regular mode) and cut 1.99db with a .81Q and the mix opened up a little more. I always look at the spectrum because it can point you to something that is not jumping out at you. Give it a try on your master and let me know if you can hear it. Also, the synth leads were just a touch harsh. I could not get at it using global eq. Your monitoring system is giving you very good time and frequency information. If you don't mine, what are you monitoring on?

Thanks for that. What kind of spectrum analyser do you use? I tried cutting at 300Hz, but the difference is very small (as is should be, 2dB isn't much), and it's not something I would have detected without you mentioning it.

I have a pair of Genelec 8020s which I love, they sound fantastic. Also use a pair of DT770 Pro headset for cross referencing. I do not however, have an optimal room for mixing, it's just my bedroom, with concrete walls, and because of space issues I have to sit close to a wall and a corner.
Sometimes a room and certain speaker in a certain position work very well together to give you what you need. I learned that it is very hard to get the truth from your monitoring system and if you do, do not change anything in that room. I use the TRacks metering and when I listen to the reference track that I am trying to match. Choose a tilt that looks pretty flat while playing the ref. I check that from time to time to make sure I have not strayed too far off track. I used the 770's until I got the HD600. I think the 770's are better but I do not want to give up on the HD's. Hope to get a Benchmark DAC or something similar soon.

I repeat, do not change anything in your room. It may be a long time before you get it back to where you like what you hear. Keep up the good work. I am mixing "All Souls Moon" at the moment. I will send you a message when it is done. Thanks again for helping me tweak my mixing.