Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix Critique
Plenty of tracks here!
Haven't done:
- Vocal automation
- Drums panning and effects
- General automation to bring out details in instrumental playing
But I would appreciate a critique of this mix. It is quite a top-down approach with buss processing and very little compression on individual tracks, and mostly just HPF and general tone EQ.

.mp3    Learning How To Fly MP3 Master 03.01.20.mp3 --  (Download: 8.44 MB)

(03-01-2021, 10:50 PM)jlawford Wrote: Plenty of tracks here!
Haven't done:
- Vocal automation
- Drums panning and effects
- General automation to bring out details in instrumental playing
But I would appreciate a critique of this mix. It is quite a top-down approach with buss processing and very little compression on individual tracks, and mostly just HPF and general tone EQ.
Hello jlawford! I think you are presenting a good mix here. Maybe the vocal could be a little louder and the bass sounds a bit boxy. Anyway, good job. Cheers!
Thanks for the comments.
I've finished the mix with additional automation - quite a lot in fact. Also chopped some drum parts like when it breaks down to just the loop - took out the live drums for a change of feel for those couple of bars around the 2 minute 10 seconds mark.
Comments from other ears welcome!

.mp3    Learning How To Fly Master2 MP3 31.01.21.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

very good 
quiet it's comfortable listening.
I mix this song but more agressive
what do you think of ?

.mp3    LEARNING HOW TO FLY.mp3 --  (Download: 6.74 MB)

(31-01-2021, 09:28 PM)Martin Laflamme Wrote: very good 
quiet it's comfortable listening.
I mix this song but more agressive
what do you think of ?
Just listening with earbuds at the moment but I think there is way to much bass. I like the melodic sound of the bass though.

I hated the sound of the loop hi-hat so just muted it for the whole song. It sounded like a low bit-rate mp3 and was distracting. The acoustic guitars when they come in basically carry the rhythm forward which is what the hi-hat loop is trying to do.

Nice vocal effects, the vocal just feels a little hard in tone for me.

The overall mix is louder but I don't think it's aggressive. The snare needs to punch more, the drums as a whole need to come up.

I think there is a better interplay between the guitars and synths that could be exploited.

Thanks for your comments, I hope mine are useful.