Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carolina in the Pine
Here's a simple mix to an already good sounding recording.

.mp3    Pretty Saro-Carolina in the Pines.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

Good call to keep it simple. I agree that this recording sounds great without any processing.

A few issues that jump out to me when listening to your mix:
- The bass is really out of control. I think high passing all tracks could help control this. You can push the filter quite high on all tracks except the bass track and put that filter quite low.
- The frequency balance sounds off to me. It makes my nice headphones sound a bit like phone speakers. I would try to ease back boosts in the high mids and cuts in the low mids.
- It sounds really overcompressed to me. Acoustic music like this needs to sound natural and the dynamics in this mix sound quite choked to me. I think a part of it is that the bass is making the compressor pump.

Some of the processing you applied to this mix probably made things sound worse. I would recommend making a mix based on balancing and panning only, bouncing it, and put it back in the project to use as reference to make sure that you are actually improving the sound. Try to match the loudness when you compare.

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to check out my mix of this song as well.
(19-01-2021, 01:43 AM)Frej Wrote: Good call to keep it simple. I agree that this recording sounds great without any processing.

A few issues that jump out to me when listening to your mix:
- The bass is really out of control. I think high passing all tracks could help control this. You can push the filter quite high on all tracks except the bass track and put that filter quite low.
- The frequency balance sounds off to me. It makes my nice headphones sound a bit like phone speakers. I would try to ease back boosts in the high mids and cuts in the low mids.
- It sounds really overcompressed to me. Acoustic music like this needs to sound natural and the dynamics in this mix sound quite choked to me. I think a part of it is that the bass is making the compressor pump.

Some of the processing you applied to this mix probably made things sound worse. I would recommend making a mix based on balancing and panning only, bouncing it, and put it back in the project to use as reference to make sure that you are actually improving the sound. Try to match the loudness when you compare.

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to check out my mix of this song as well.
Thank you for the feedback. You are right that the bass is overpowering. I'll work on balancing the freqs. because the highs do sound too harsh. I did add compressing across the mix to give it some boost....Maybe i do like the loudness war after all...ugh... Will definitely do a plain mix and bounce with just balance and pan and reference that.... Again, thank you for the feedback.