Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strobe - Maya
Awesome track to mix, thank you for making this available. 
Since there are no acoustic instruments I tried a more creative approach with a bunch of effects rather than trying to perfect a real performance.
I definitely had fun, thank you for listening.

.mp3    Strobe - Maya.mp3 --  (Download: 6.58 MB)

.mp3    Strobe - Maya_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.58 MB)

Initially I was intrigued by the creative intro, however once getting into the full track I was disappointed.

The vocals are buried in general, and when the bass rolls in it totally dominates them.

There seems to be a general lack of balances all together and dullness to the entire mix.

I'd say give it another try and reference other content that is similar since this mix simply does not do the song justice.
How are them vocals buried in the mix ?you can hear every word and the bass is fine
I think you give a lot of bad advice myself
(30-12-2020, 11:28 PM)LightYearRecords11 Wrote: Initially I was intrigued by the creative intro, however once getting into the full track I was disappointed.

The vocals are buried in general, and when the bass rolls in it totally dominates them.

There seems to be a general lack of balances all together and dullness to the entire mix.

I'd say give it another try and reference other content that is similar since this mix simply does not do the song justice.

Thanks I always appreciate feedback but I must say this time I don't quite see what you're referring to. Are you sure your monitoring system or listening environment is optimal?
Cheers
Cool mix, i personally am not into that delay on the pluck synth. Drums sound nice and slappy as does your bass. Vocals could come up but I am sure you already know that Big Grin.
Luke Percy,
Sydney Australia
https://www.lapaudio.com/
Thanks!

v2 edit:
Brough up the vocals a bit and boosted around 3k for more presence
Light compression on bass (none in v1)
Added punch to drum bus
More attack on intro synth
And few more tweaks here and there...

I think this is working a bit better. Really wanna get this one right haha.

Cheers
Definitely a creative mix here. Really cool automation with the effects and tracks
I absolutely love how you processed the main guitar in the chorus
Great compression in the drums
Good balance of track volumes and frequencies (Pulled it up on Ableton and used SPAN).
They back vox sound great, I would just like the volume to come up a hair on those
I think the bass needs some EQ cuts. Try rolling off excessive lows, pretty much anything before 35 - 40Hz, and some low mid cuts, should allow for the mix to breath a bit better.
This sounds good though man, great work on this one!
(03-01-2021, 12:43 PM)Stevenrruz Wrote: Definitely a creative mix here. Really cool automation with the effects and tracks
I absolutely love how you processed the main guitar in the chorus
Great compression in the drums
Good balance of track volumes and frequencies (Pulled it up on Ableton and used SPAN).
They back vox sound great, I would just like the volume to come up a hair on those
I think the bass needs some EQ cuts. Try rolling off excessive lows, pretty much anything before 35 - 40Hz, and some low mid cuts, should allow for the mix to breath a bit better.
This sounds good though man, great work on this one!
Thank you for the great feedback! I must say I had your mix as one of my reference tracks because I thought you did an excellent job. 
I may give it another go and follow your advice. I agree about the bass. I did cut gently around 220Hz but it might need more radical treatment there. And I'll roll up a bit the high-pass filter as well.
That's awesome to hear, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

And to be fair, this particular bass is not in any way easy to work with, at least I think so.