Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strobe - Gone
(17-01-2021, 11:14 PM)mikej Wrote: In space, no one can hear your screen (or something like that).  If it needs 10db, it needs 10db. If it needs to be brighter in the mix, make it brighter.  You just need to get the confidence to not worry about it.  It's a big thing, and it really wasn't all that long ago that I figured it out.  (Despite the fact that CLA basically shouts this out in all his videos, and interviews, and his waves presets, etc, with his 8k boosts, etc)  I think that's when my mixes started getting a little bit better.  I like to eq into compression, but of course if you can't get it bright enough because of the compressor, then for me that answers the question of whether to eq before or after compression, because the answer then is obviously both.

Quick edit to add that it's suprising how bright you have to make some things to get them right in the mix.
* We all heard that before, mixing with your ears, not with your eyes. But just bc we hear that doesn't mean we do. I think you are right about the confidence tho. I have no confidence in my ability when things get out of ordinary. 10dBs boost right where our ears are most sensitive (~3kHz) is scary and I will do all that I can to avoid that Smile. Btw, I think the big boost CLA does to his kick around 8kHz, imo, is not as drastic as the same amount around 3kHz to, say, a guitar or vocal. There is little info around there in the kick so it needs big boost to bring it up. That doesn't bother me. And that is not big boost to me. Just my opinion.
Well, I think that was exactly one of the points I was making really - eq as much as it needs - so I agree with your opinion.

There is more than one approach though of course, and everyone needs to find their own philosophy - which I think is also where confidence comes in. It's not a one size fits all thing at all as far as mixing goes, if that makes sense?

Cheers!

Edit to add that for me you also have to have confidence in that that you are going to get things wrong, but not to let it get you down, but have the persistence and tenacity to work at it.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!