Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jakobsen'What have u done to me'
Hi guys, This is my first mix. I seriously could use your critics a lot on this mix...because I'm on a learning process. Thank u.

The second track is the adjusted track Smile

.mp3    Jakobson MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 3.13 MB)

.mp3    Jakobsen Adjustment.mp3 --  (Download: 3.13 MB)

Listnin on headphones.
Your first mix ? Ever ? Nah come on. This is good - your drums sound great, the lvls are fine, voice bit loud for my taste but suits the song. You lowcut all but kick and snare it seems. Piano maybe a. It too thin. I think you did a great job of presentin this song. And welcome to the site.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(17-01-2014, 02:16 AM)Voelund Wrote: Listnin on headphones.
Your first mix ? Ever ? Nah come on. This is good - your drums sound great, the lvls are fine, voice bit loud for my taste but suits the song. You lowcut all but kick and snare it seems. Piano maybe a. It too thin. I think you did a great job of presentin this song. And welcome to the site.

Thank u thank u thank u for your coment, i really appreciate that.
I seriously tried once but didn't finish it at all, as a matter of fact this is my very first mix. Once again thanks for your reply and for welcoming me to this site. cheers
Listenin on speakers I hear you have a bit loend build up, especially the bass could benefit from a little thinnin in the 200 hz department.
Also the 1-3 k are a bit messy in vocals and guitars, maybe from boostin that area in all 3 ? Another approach would be choosin say dippin 1,5 in voices and boostin broad but little with another band of eq, and same treatment on gtrs, that way they dont clash but still get more hiend. Experimentation is the key here. If you cant hear the drums boostin them isnt necessarily the answer but cuttin holes with eq in other instrument group to make space could be the answer.
There are so many ways Big Grin
For the piano, did you boost it around 2k ? it sounds a bit like it sings hrough the nose if you get the idea, if so try lowering the boost or boost elsewhere, maybe higher or try cuttin instead.

But very very good job for a first mix, Im impressed Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(17-01-2014, 04:16 PM)Voelund Wrote: Listenin on speakers I hear you have a bit loend build up, especially the bass could benefit from a little thinnin in the 200 hz department.
Also the 1-3 k are a bit messy in vocals and guitars, maybe from boostin that area in all 3 ? Another approach would be choosin say dippin 1,5 in voices and boostin broad but little with another band of eq, and same treatment on gtrs, that way they dont clash but still get more hiend. Experimentation is the key here. If you cant hear the drums boostin them isnt necessarily the answer but cuttin holes with eq in other instrument group to make space could be the answer.
There are so many ways Big Grin
For the piano, did you boost it around 2k ? it sounds a bit like it sings hrough the nose if you get the idea, if so try lowering the boost or boost elsewhere, maybe higher or try cuttin instead.

But very very good job for a first mix, Im impressed Big Grin

Thanks for tips, that why i chose to write u personally, cuz i know u've got the ears for music and I'm really gonna apply those tips, appreciate that.Cheers.
No problem, just want to clarify one thing I described badly above, sorry bout that:
To separate say voice and guitar the dip gotta be separate frequencies.
Could look like this:

Voice: dip fairly narrow 1,5 k, boost wide just a little so you get the clarity you want, may also be hi shelf eq, especially if frequency is higher
Guitars: dip 4k, boost hi shelf from 3 k.
Dont take my numbers for more than what they are: examples. Use your ears Big Grin

You dont have to just dip one place, could be somewhere below they clash too. Remember: a little eq goes a long way.
(17-01-2014, 05:46 PM)Voelund Wrote: No problem, just want to clarify one thing I described badly above, sorry bout that:
To separate say voice and guitar the dip gotta be separate frequencies.
Could look like this:

Voice: dip fairly narrow 1,5 k, boost wide just a little so you get the clarity you want, may also be hi shelf eq, especially if frequency is higher
Guitars: dip 4k, boost hi shelf from 3 k.
Dont take my numbers for more than what they are: examples. Use your ears Big Grin

You dont have to just dip one place, could be somewhere below they clash too. Remember: a little eq goes a long way.

Hi, i have done the adjustment, i applied your tips and i think is better than the first track, especially piano part. thanks
I like the changes !
Listening again I think you have 2 new points to focus on:
The bas could do with a bit of bus distortion, add a new bus and insert a saturator of some kind, and make sends from bas track and add to taste, maybe eq the bus so its mainly in middle frequecies say 800 - 1500. As it is I doubt it will be heard on smaller speakers, and also a little less 150-200 wouldnt harm.
The voice lvl is great, but I feel it isnt attached to the music. Creatin a short verb and givin vox and most of other tracks a little is known to do the trick, create the illusion it was recorded in same room. Short verb, under 1s.

There's some buidUp in the bass, around 200/300hz, the lead vocal is to ''reverby''... but for ur first mix, it's a good one. U have potencial

TIP: Pay atention to the ''muddy'' freqs (200/300hz to 600/700hz). Nobody likes them for a reason... bye Wink

(24-02-2014, 02:43 PM)Amaral Fortes (GolBeatsPRo) Wrote: There's some buidUp in the bass, around 200/300hz, the lead vocal is to ''reverby''... but for ur first mix, it's a good one. U have potencial

TIP: Pay atention to the ''muddy'' freqs (200/300hz to 600/700hz). Nobody likes them for a reason... bye Wink

Thanks for tips Amaral, appreciate that Smile