Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan Mansfield & John Pritchard: 'Boat Ride'
Haven't mixed anything in quite a while and thought this would be fun.  Really like Alans vocals here, very cool indeed. Keys are a bit hot, will probably drop them back with my next pass.  Thanks for listening.

Mix #2 Added.  Some tightening of frequencies and fade out added.

Mix #3 Added.  Tucked that snare in a bit and added some reverb to bring it forward.  Added automation to that cool vocal part to help with clarity and to keep it forward of the backing parts.

.mp3    AlanMansfieldAndJohnPritchard_BoatRide_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.23 MB)

.mp3    AlanMansfieldAndJohnPritchard_BoatRide_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.12 MB)

.mp3    AlanMansfieldAndJohnPritchard_BoatRide_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.12 MB)

#2 only. I find it fatiguing due to the slaughtered dynamics. I suggest you've overlooked the inherent issues in the multi which is already heavily processed.  I've not mixed this, but I did get as far as downloading the stock and poking it about somewhat. So I do understand what is going on. Tongue

I'd also mention that upsampling (eg as you've done here to 48kHz) suggests a misunderstanding of how audio works.  I've noticed an increasing trend in the forum regarding this....looks like the myth bandwaggon is in full swing Wink
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(30-12-2020, 04:16 PM)Monk Wrote: #2 only. I find it fatiguing due to the slaughtered dynamics. I suggest you've overlooked the inherent issues in the multi which is already heavily processed.  I've not mixed this, but I did get as far as downloading the stock and poking it about somewhat. So I do understand what is going on.  Tongue

I'd also mention that upsampling (eg as you've done here to 48kHz) suggests a misunderstanding of how audio works.  I've noticed an increasing trend in the forum regarding this....looks like the myth bandwaggon is in full swing  Wink

Thanks for the listen Monk.  Not sure what to do with the dynamics as I haven't really hit them hard. I tried to limit the sustain on the guitar parts to add some extra space around them.  I'm a bit out of practice but overall I'm pretty happy with the feel.  As for the 48k,  I just processed it as received.   I'm just here for the music and don't really care for the science behind it. Smile
The mix is good .Nothing a little mastering wouldn't help.I think Monk gets confused between a mix and a mastered mix
Maybe he should try a mix himself
[quote='Peligroso' pid='103942' dateline='1608461863']
No he mezclado nada en bastante tiempo y pensé que sería divertido. Realmente me gusta la voz de Alan aquí, realmente genial. Las llaves están un poco calientes, probablemente las dejaré caer con mi próxima pasada. Gracias por su atención.

Mezcla # 2 agregada. Se agregó algo de ajuste de frecuencias y desvanecimiento.

Mezcla # 3 agregada. Metí esa caja un poco y agregué un poco de reverberación para llevarla adelante. Se agregó automatización a esa parte vocal genial para ayudar con la claridad y mantenerla por delante de las partes de acompañamiento.

Excellent work, very good frequency balance! I liked version 3, I loved the balance you achieved in your mix!
Greetings!!!
Thank you Sir.